beginner questions!

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by pangie, Jan 15, 2019.

1. pangie

pangie New Member

Hello, my cat, Mickey, was just diagnosed with diabetes and was given a script for vetsulin, and a second one for novolin. I tried to get the novolin at my local pharmacy, but it is super expensive. That leaves me trying to get vetsulin, which i cannot get at any local pharmacy (i tried). So i need to order it online. My problem is this: my family is going on vacation in a few days and it will not arrive before we leave. So this means she won't start the insulin until we return on the 26th. obviously i know she needs the medicine, but I'm not sure what I can do. Is it completely terrible of me to just wait till the 26th to start her on the insulin? I have no one that can give her the injections while we are gone. a neighbor usually feeds her and cleans her littler box when we are gone, but i can't ask her to do injections that i haven't even done myself yet. I don't know what to do, any advice would be appreciated. thank you!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Can you buy Vetsulin from your vet? It's a cat/dog insulin so it won't be available in a human pharmacy. Short of paying to board your kitty at your vet's clinic so insulin can be started sooner it's probably safest to wait to start insulin. One thing you can do right now is to switch Mickey to low carb wet food (carefully over a few days). Friskies or Fancy Feast pates are fine. That alone can have a blood glucose lowering effect and you'd begin insulin from a better starting point. All forms of kibble (pretty much) are too high in carbs for diabetic kitties. :)

3. pangie

pangie New Member

they normally sell it, but were out of it when i was there. they were supposed to get it in today, but it will be just as expensive as the novolin was at the pharmacy, which is 3x's as much as ordering the vetsulin online. and with us going out of town i can't afford that this week. I did switch her to a low carb dry food a few weeks ago when i was suspicious that she had diabetes. I have been giving her wet food occasionally also. maybe i will start changing over to all wet now and just have my neighbor feed her while we are gone and start the insulin when we get back.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Chewy.com had vetsulin for $53. The ship as soon as the vet approved it and it usually arrives in 2 days

5. Kris & Teasel

Great idea! If she likes wet food it won't be a problem but mix it in slowly increasing proportions over several days to avoid GI upset.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  6. pangie

pangie New Member

she loves the wet food, so i don't think it will be a problem to switch her. we are just in a time crunch with us leaving. I feel so bad making her wait another week for the insulin, but i also don't want her to start it while we are gone and not there to watch for reactions. i'm just afraid i'm going to come home to a very sick kitty if we wait :(

7. Kris & Teasel

Start the food change now then. It might help her BG levels.

8. pangie

pangie New Member

i will, thank you for your help!!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

What was her numbers when she was diagnosed