Beginning Hypo?!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by scienceofcats, Apr 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scienceofcats

scienceofcats Member

Reposted. Hi guys - Lola’s bG has dropped to 4.4 mmol/L (80 mg/dL) at 10:00 PM after receiving 1 unit ProZinc insulin at 7:45 PM. Her PMPS was 9.2 mmol/L (165 mg/dL), and I was advised in another post to proceed with insulin.

I’m really worried it’s going to drop further. She wouldn’t eat the high carb food I have, so I’m giving her an extra wet food portion which she’s eating now. Hoping that brings her sugar back up. How worried should I be? Not sure what to do :(

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You did the right think giving her a snack of her regular wet food. You have a way to go before nadir. Test again in a half hour and if she’s level or lower give another snack, rinse and repeat. If you can’t stay up to monitor you can abort the cycle by carbing her up - add honey, maple syrup, etc. to some wet food or feed some gravy style food if you have some in your hypo kit. You might need to drop the dose to 0.75 u tomorrow AM.

3. scienceofcats

scienceofcats Member

Okay; one thing she will always eat in past prior to diagnosis is McDonald’s ice cream. If her numbers stay low, would it be a good idea to give her some of that?

4. Kris & Teasel

You could try that as long as it doesn’t upset her tummy. You might have to give small amounts of carbs often if you’re going to “steer” BG for a while.

5. scienceofcats

scienceofcats Member

That makes sense. The ice cream doesn’t upset her tummy at all. I will retest at 11:00 PM (20 mins from now) and see where we are at. How low would bG have to get before I should take her to the emergency vet?

6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

As long as you have syrup/honey/karo at home, it's unlikely you will need an emergency vet. You might not get much sleep tonight, but we'll be here to guide you through if she continues to drop. I wouldn't carb her up too much at this point. Let's see if the regular food is enough to get her to surf along until nadir. Oh, and 2.7 is when you'll need to start thinking about carbs, but even that depends on when it happens in the cycle.

7. Djamila

Don't feed her too too much right now. You want to keep her willing to eat if needed as the evening goes on. If she fills up now it could get harder later on.

8. Djamila

It's cracking me up to imagine her eating an ice cream cone! :p:cat:

9. scienceofcats

scienceofcats Member

Okay, her bG = 4.2 mmol/L (75 mg/dL) now (10:54 PM). Should I try giving her a little more wet food?

Yeah, she’s very cute. She likes being fed ice cream with one of those plastic McDonald’s spoons. It’s adorable :)

Djamila likes this.
  10. Djamila

So it was an hour between the 4.4 and the 4.2? Can you leave food out for her tonight to graze, or will she gobble it all?

11. Djamila

You can give her some more regular food, and then either leave out some food for her if that's an option, or set an alarm to get another test in an hour or so.

12. scienceofcats

scienceofcats Member

Yes, that’s right. I could leave it out, but chances are my other cats might steal it... worth trying though. I’ll put it by her favourite lounging spot.

I’ll set an alarm and get another test in an hour

Djamila likes this.
  13. Djamila

If she still around the same range at your +5, you should be fine for the night. I’m usually the last one awake here in Prozinc-land since I’m on the west coast, and I’m going to bed in just a second. If she’s low at your next test, post out in the Main Forum and someone is usually around out there that can help.

14. scienceofcats

scienceofcats Member

Okay, thanks for your advice. She’s at bG = 4.3 mmol/L right now (12:40 AM). I’ll grab one more spot check at 1:30 AM.

15. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh dang! I didn't see that coming at all. I really thought she was going to surf as it looks like she has been. Definitely looks like time for a dose decrease.

16. scienceofcats

scienceofcats Member

Just retested this morning, and it was 7.8 mmol/L (140 mg/dL). I’m assuming I should skip the 1 unit of ProZinc insulin I’d normally give her now?

Don’t worry about it, Rachel - these things happen! The important thing is we caught it, so all is well. Yeah, a dose decrease makes sense to me.

17. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Are you going to be home to monitor?
    I wouldn't give 1 unit. Definitely decrease to at least 0.75u or 0.5u... see what the others think.
    Hopefully they can check in before shot time. I know the site gets bogged down around this time in the morning.

18. scienceofcats

scienceofcats Member

Unfortunately not; I’m a biochem grad student, and I have some time-sensitive experiments I can’t put off... would there be any harm in skipping the insulin to be safe?

19. scienceofcats

scienceofcats Member

Okay guys, I’m going to default to not giving her insulin this morning... I’m figuring I’ve skipped doses before (back when she was first diagnosed and I was nervous about numbers) and seen no clinical repercussions. I’ll retest her tonight when I’m back from work at her regular PMPS @ 7:15 PM. For what it’s worth, she seems very bright and happy this morning, so that’s good at least :)

StephG likes this.
  20. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

It's best to be safe than sorry.
    Sorry I couldn't respond right away.

21. Kris & Teasel

Sometimes skipping is the safest thing to do.

22. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It definitely won’t kill her to skip. You gotta be safe! So sorry we weren’t here...I was on the way to work.

What time zone are you in? Helps us have a better idea when to check in. :)

23. Djamila

It sounds like you have long days, but if there is any way you can start getting some mid-cycle tests - if not a before-bed test every night, then at least committing to more testing over the weekends it would really help. It's entirely possible that the one unit dose last night was actually a good amount for her. But because we don't have other tests to go by, we had to treat it like it was potentially dangerous. If you look at my spreadsheet, my kitty quite often drops early in the cycle and then surfs safely through the nadir. Last night he was at 68 at +2 and I had no problem just going to sleep because I know his patterns.

Another possibility is that your kitty is going to start dropping in dose. That tends to happen fairly quickly and the extra tests will help you know when to reduce to keep Lola safe. You can see her PS numbers are coming down, and it's possible that she has been having some mild hypo numbers for a few days now. A healthy cat can compensate for that for a little while, but not for long, so making sure she isn't being over-dosed is important.

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  24. scienceofcats

scienceofcats Member

Okay guys, her blood sugar is now 9.9 mmol/L (178 mg/dL). She was fed a serving of wet food 20 mins ago. Considering she skipped insulin this morning, what dose should I be thinking about right now? Maybe 0.75 units? 0.5? Advice would be great; I’ll hold off for 20 mins in hopes that one of you sees this.

Yeah, really long days for me... I commute for 1.5-2 hours each way to the lab, and I’m there for 8 hours. I can get mid-cycle reads this weekend though. In the interim, I’ll continue with before bed testing in addition to AMPS/PMPS.

No worries! I’m in Eastern, and I generally do a 7:15/7:15 schedule. :)

25. Kris & Teasel

I'd try 0.5 u because she stayed low even without insulin this AM. Get a +2 for sure. Exciting! :D

26. scienceofcats

scienceofcats Member

Alright, thanks so much! I’ll give 0.5 units now and post a +2 once I have it. :)

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  27. scienceofcats

scienceofcats Member

Okay, she’s had her 0.5 units and her +2 is 7.9 mmol/L (142 mg/dL). Would you guys say that’s pretty good? Probably should continue with 0.5 units assuming her pre-shot values stay consistent?

28. Djamila

Let's see where she's at in the morning. As you said, you want to be sure her PS values don't start increasing again.

If you ever happen to wake up during the night, try to grab a later cycle test. Assuming everything holds, then yes, I'd keep the dose through the week and then do at least a mini curve on Saturday so we can figure out if this is enough insulin (or too much). She looks like she's doing so well considering the steroids! And you're doing a great job taking care of her! :)

Kris & Teasel and Rachel like this.
  29. scienceofcats

scienceofcats Member

Her AMPS is 11.3 mmol/L (203 mg/dL). What do you guys think - shoot 0.5 units again? 1 unit? 0.75 units? I have to do the shot in 20 minutes, so hoping I hear from one of you... but if not, I’ll default to 0.75 units to see what that does.

Thanks again for all the help, guys!

30. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

One sec looking at SS now.

31. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I think I’d hold 0.5 for now since you can’t monitor and it looks like it probably gave a gentler cycle last night. It’s basically the same as your PMPS so it should give a similar cycle.

32. scienceofcats

scienceofcats Member

Okay, I just gave her 0.5 units. Thanks for the advice :)

33. Kris & Teasel

I like 0.5 u for now.

34. scienceofcats

scienceofcats Member

I just did her PMPS, and it’s similar - 10.4 mmol/L (187 mg/dL). I’m assuming this means that, for the time being, 0.5 units is good for her. Proceeding with 0.5 units now. :)

Rachel likes this.
  35. Kris & Teasel

Good choice. Get a before bed test tonight.

36. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

That's great! I second the before bed test. I know it's kind of tiring what with your schedule, but as you get more data, you'll be able to make better decisions.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.