Beginning raw food diet

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Citrouille, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Citrouille

Citrouille New Member

Hi ! ( MMOL/L BUT MG/DL AT THE END OF THE CONVERSATION, SO SORRY MY US GUYS)

My boy Citrouille was eating Purina DM and the curve was too high, so my vet recommanded to up the dose to 2.5 Units. I switch during this time to a crappy food way too high in carb and finally decided to return in a raw food diet. The food is prepared by a company and all the meat is frozen :

http://prntscr.com/knmf3h

Due to a strict budget, I decided to go on raw food diet. My cat was on this diet 2 month ago (before diabetes diagnostic) so the transition was super easy. I just need to know if anyone had tips for me to understand the curve.

http://prntscr.com/knmelo

I was about to 2,5 units (on Purina DM) and had some issue with the second dry food and now for the 26 and 27 august, I feel like I should go to 1 Units. The preshot is 4,1 mmol/l which is really low. I won't give insulin tonight. (?!)

Do you have any experience with this ? Do my transition seems ok ?

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Would it be possible for you to start the spreadsheet that we all use here? Those of us in the US aren’t familar with world numbers and the one we use has both US and world.

3. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

To convert the numbers just multiply the world numbers by 18......so the 4.1 is 73.8 in US numbers. FYI, with us Canadians using the US meters like ReliOn, we always have to convert and we just take the US number and divide by 18 to get our world number....crazy, why not just have one system world wide, haha - you guys switch to metric!!

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Were you feeding wet or dry DM? The wet isn't that high in carbs, just not great quality. A switch from wet DM to raw shouldn't make much difference. What was the second dry food?

That 3.6 (65) on the AT earned a reduction down to 1.75 units. The lower numbers you saw today are probably from the depot of the 2.0 unit dose you were giving. Are you dosing the PM shots too? I don't see any dose numbers in the unit column for the nights of the 24th and 25th.

5. Citrouille

Citrouille New Member

Hi ! So I will explain here in the US number! haha it's too much work to translate and my chart are not really good so I will just continue in US.

Wendy : My cat was eating Purina DM dry. The food I switch without changing his dose was : https://bluebuffalo.com/natural-cat...ess/dry-food/wilderness-adult-chicken-recipe/ He was always reallly low with a 2.5 dose. Unfortunatly, I didn't test a lot with this food so I cannot give really good information.

2. My chart is not really precise but yes, I shot every PM too.

Now i'm dealing with raw feeding and its really hard ! I literally start at 2.5 units to go at 1 units this morning and still got a 47 (+10hours) this PM. Should I reduce again the dose at 0.5 units ! The difference is really intense but my cat keep being really low !!

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Could you show us a new version of the spreadsheet? I can tell what is happening without it. It's like the depot from the 2.5 unit dose that gave you the 47. I might skip tonight, to try to help drain the depot, then maybe 1.0 unit tomorrow. But I'm not entirely sure that's the best thing to do, without seeing a complete picture of the last few days on the spreadsheet.

7. Citrouille

Citrouille New Member

Due to my really bad tracking and variation in his food, I just don't have a clear spreadsheet. Because of all the sudden change, its totally possible to have a depot effect. I didn't know that and i'm reading about it. I'm gonna watch carefully my cat and probably ask my vet. I hope it will regulate soon.