Beginning to test, have questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Indigo, Dec 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indigo

Indigo Member

Jackson is my most awesome guy and we are going to begin testing in two days just as soon as Amazon delivers insulinx strips.
    We have purchased the Alphatrak meter
    Have 28 gauge lancets
    Bag with alphatrak strips, pen, test solution

Now here comes the questions ...
    I remember seeing an image of the sweet spot, on where to poke the cats ear to obtain the sample, is that on this forum?

What numbers do I need to look for? Good and bad.

How often do I need to double check with an alphatrak strip... I have seen posts where others talk of doublechecking.

I have looked at spreadsheets and don’t understand them, but know where the link is to create them. How do I need to go about logging his numbers & data needed for the forum and also his Vet.

How often is testing needed?

*now a weird question, my husband and I are not home as much as we should be on the weekends. I have looked at insulin coolers preparing to take Jackson along for the ride but have no idea what I’m looking at, what’s a quality insulin cooler ?

I know this is probably a long confusing post and you’re going to be answering questions for me that you’ve answered for millions of others, but I certainly appreciate it more than you can imagine. This is been a wild ride so far and the train just left the station. Jackson’s Vet never recommend at home testing, I learned here on the forum. I’m sure he’ll be quite displeased when he finds out my hard-earned money will not go into his coffers for curve testing.

2. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

I'm new here too only a week. Using the rice sock heated 30 seconds/Reli on Prime and 30 Gauge lancet works fine. Stay to the very edge of the ear for blood and your golden. Moving my beautiful beast to ordinary can food and Costco kibble for small grazing has worked pretty well. Higher numbers are safer than lower numbers. Test, feed then inject. Others more knowledgeable will chime in about absolute numbers. Keep reading and you will quickly get up to speed. I had words with the Vet also about them trying to discourage me from home testing. This just show up with your credit card when we say did not sit well with me.

Indigo likes this.
  3. Indigo

Indigo Member

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Indigo, I'm so glad to hear you are going to be testing, it's the best tool you have to see how the insulin is affecting Jackson and keep him safe. Here is a link about testing: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/
    It would be a good idea to read through the information in the FAQs forum: FAQS
    Print out the Hypo instructions and make your Hypo toolbox. I hope you never need it, but better prepared than not. Idjit dipped below the "take action" number once and I was not prepared. :( It wasn't critical, and the members here helped me out, but you better believe I got my act together right quick.
    Always test before a shot AMPS (morning pre-shot) and PMPS (evening pre-shot) to be sure it's safe to shoot, and at least once mid cycle (cycle is the 12 hours between shots) and a before bed test. A curve is testing every 2 hours in a cycle, or if that doesn't work, testing at different times during the cycle through a number of days. This fills in the "puzzle" of how the insulin is working for Jackson.
    Read the stickies at the top of the Prozinc forum.
    Here is a link to understanding the spreadsheet: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/
    Here is a link to the spreadsheet itself: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    I know this is a lot of information, but you will be surprised at how quickly you will learn, and knowing that you are doing the best thing for Jackson is the reward.
    [​IMG]

Beck and Philly, Darwin H. and Indigo like this.
  5. Indigo

Indigo Member

6. Indigo

Indigo Member

Appreciate those links, I’m scared to death about testing because of my essential tremors but I love this guy more then he can even imagine so game on. I have read all the prozinc stickies and taking notes. Preparing his hypo tool kit today thank you for the reminder . I’m going to jump on those links and learn how to prepare a spreadsheet as well as the other link about Home testing. Will the spreadsheet be something that I can share with my vet easily?

7. Idjit's mom

I know that some members do share the spreadsheet with their vets, some via email I believe. I can access Idjit's spreadsheet on my Kindle and take it in to show her. Are you working from a laptop or a tablet?
    I know you are scared about testing, and I also know you are going to do your best. You could try testing on the paw pads if that would work better for you and if Jackson will allow it. If you need help getting that spreadsheet up, there are members here who will help you.
    Keep asking questions if something isn't clear to you. There is quite a lot of information to get through, and believe me, I re-read more than once. It takes awhile to get comfortable with it all, and make it part of your daily routine.
    Are you feeding Dave's Naturally Healthy Grain Free or Dave's Restricted Diet food? The Naturally Healthy is low carb, the Restricted is not.

Indigo likes this.
  8. Indigo

Indigo Member

I just purchased a new iPad so I’m on a tablet and I am feeding Daves cat food 95% premium meat grain free. I’m going to do the best I can buy him he deserves it. It’s good to know there’s members that will help me and I feel like I ask some of the same questions over and over but everyone here has been unbelievably helpful and pleasant.

9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

When I've taken China with me to Branson, I've used the Frio Insulin pouch cooler. They're great because they only take plain old water to work!!

Indigo likes this.
  10. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I use the Frio insulin pouch also. Just remember not to pack it in a suitcase, cooler, wrap in plastic bag etc. It needs air to work. When I'm in the car driving I just leave it on the seat. Since I use a stroller to transport I lay it on top or in cup holder.

Indigo likes this.
  11. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

I've not read anywhere that the insulin needs to be refrigerated unless it is unopened and being stored long term. I use the Basaglar pen and that is what is recommended by the company web site.

Indigo likes this.
  12. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

That info is for humans who carry it on their person.

If you keep it refrigerated it will be good for many months depending on the dose given. If unopened and kept in fridge will be good for 6+ months. I have some that doesn't even expire until 2020 and I've already had it for 8 months now.

Indigo likes this.
  13. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

Makes sense if it makes it last longer. I personally generally disbelieve the pharmaceutical industry anyway. The use by date was blown away by the medication study commissioned if I recall correctly by the US Gov't miltary and carried out by Yale university medical some years ago. Most medications last 15+ years past expiration date and only degrade somewhat over time to less than optimum levels at worst. This is very much needed for profit driven companies to make us buy more, and have pharmacies rotate out stock and BUY MORE. I will store my opened pen in the refer then.

14. Idjit's mom

I was told not to store it in the door of the fridge, because opening and closing doesn't provide a constant temp, plus the danger of fall out and breaking. I put my vial in a cup with some bubble wrap padding on the middle shelf in the center area.

15. Indigo

Indigo Member

Appreciate The cooler recommendation I went to Amazon and got one! You’re awesome

16. Indigo

Indigo Member

I was also told not to storage in the door of the fridge but I bought myself a little silicone vial protector on Amazon today I’m so concerned that it’s going to fall out and break with my essential tremors being the way they are

17. Idjit's mom

What a good idea, I didn't know about the vial protector. I think if Idjit ever falls out of remission and has to go back on insulin, I am going to use the pens with syringes because it's more cost effective. The vial contains so much it would be hard to use it all up unless you have a high dose kitty. And it's soooooo expensive. We didn't get our money's worth at all with less than two weeks of insulin support, but I kept the vial just in case. I don't know if it's any good at all now.

18. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

If it were me I would keep it. I bet it is still good and will be for years to come if kept at recommended temperature.

19. Molly and Sammy

Molly and Sammy Member

I email the link to my vet periodically with questions or just as a progress report. It's easy to work with after a quick learning curve. I keep a little notebook in my test kit to record handwritten scores through the day, then transfer to the ss when it's convenient. Good luck, your cat will actually help you once he realizes that tests mean treats!

20. Molly and Sammy

Molly and Sammy Member

I got one too, cheap and the vial seems so much more secure!

21. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

I dropped one of mine a week after I received it! Reordered through chewy pharmacy with a not explaining why I needed another so soon and they refunded the cost to me! Told me to let them know befor i reorder if it ever happens again and they would replace free of charge!

22. Indigo

Indigo Member

:coffee: Good to know

23. Indigo

Indigo Member

Frio purchased... thank you

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.