Bella’s BG journey part 4

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bellasmom, Mar 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice number on the +7!

I've been out of town for a while and not on the boards, going to try to catch up. How is Bella doing?

3. Bellasmom

Welcome back, doing a lot better, finally over the UTI and his BG numbers are getting so much better, thank you for asking, I really appreciate it, all of you guys are amazing in helping people, I’m truly grateful

4. Nan & Amber (GA)

:)

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Nice +7. I'm glad I suggested dropping to 0.5 u today. Fingers crossed you get a PMPS that allows you to give insulin.

Bellasmom likes this.
  6. Bellasmom

So tell me again and I’m sorry what is the lowest it can be and still be able to give.5

7. Kris & Teasel

Perfect! :) Finally you have a PMPS that allows you to give insulin. Today's curve, although the BGs are slightly higher than ideal, is the shape you want: similar AM/PMPS and a (approximate) nadir that is about 50% of the PS numbers. I suggest you keep 0.5 u for tomorrow AM and PM at least, numbers permitting. If the BGs stay in this range you can try 0.75 u later. Too early to know.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    JeffJ likes this.
  8. Kris & Teasel

Look at that! A nice yellow AMPS for the second day in a row. :) I like this dose for now.

Bellasmom likes this.
  9. Bellasmom

Me too, I’m so glad we away from those yucky reds and blacks, can tell he feels better as well

10. Kris & Teasel

Excellent! His insulin need has dropped but those reds and blacks were a sign of too much insulin. It can take a while to figure out dosing as things change - UTI, food etc. Novolin is trickier to work with because of its strong action but he’s doing well right now. :)

Bellasmom likes this.
  11. Bellasmom

Bella usually gets his shot at 6am, I have to be at work at 530am and husband at 6am can I give his shot 30 early in the am

12. Kris & Teasel

It shouldn’t be a problem.

Bellasmom likes this.
  13. Kris & Teasel

Another good PS! Maybe a before bed test tonight?

Bellasmom likes this.
  14. Bellasmom

How do you know if your cat goes into remission

15. Kris & Teasel

The insulin dose to get him to good numbers will get smaller and smaller. Eventually you experiment with giving a tiny dose on a blue PS to see what happens. After a time of dosing that way you try no insulin and if he stays in dark green or very low blue on his own for 14 days you can say he's in remission.

16. Bellasmom

281 +3 wonder why it went up

17. Kris & Teasel

Impossible to say. It's essentially the same as his AMPS. Any daytime data later than this?

18. Bellasmom

19. Bellasmom

That +3 was supposed to be put under evening, sorry

20. Kris & Teasel

It's just a number. He might have done something similar last night ...

21. Kris & Teasel

Don’t panic about the pink. Keep the 0.5 u dose today. Any chance of a test between +4 and +6 today. It’s hard to assess without some mid cycle data. He might have dropped lower yesterday and is in a bounce period or this dose might be a little low. Inconclusive at this point ...

22. Bellasmom

Can’t get one till 230, both working but can tomorrow, hubby off tomorrow

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  23. Bellasmom

24. Kris & Teasel

Could be worse. Keep 0.5 u tonight. It would be very helpful to get at least two tests tomorrow between +3 and +7. Data needed to figure out what’s going on.

25. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

I’m very happy to see Bella is over UTI and is getting better numbers! I’ve not been on as much. I’m trying to obsess less over my diabetic cat. I was spending almost every free moment on here or searching the web for info. Lol

Bellasmom likes this.
  26. Kris & Teasel

Yes, some data today will help. Do what you can. :)

27. Bellasmom

Hubby is home today so he will do +3 and +7

28. Bellasmom

I do the samething

Magic Johnson and krazy4kritters like this.
  29. Bellasmom

+3 129

30. Nan & Amber (GA)

That's a great number but a pretty big drop from the pre-shot. Doe Bella usually get a mid-morning snack? A little food when they are falling like this can sometimes help put the brakes on steep dives, and help dampen down the bounces.

31. Bellasmom

He does if someone is home, my hubby is home, should he have some high carb snack?

32. Nan & Amber (GA)

I don't think he needs high carb, but offer a little of his usual low-carb food.

Bellasmom likes this.
  33. Nan & Amber (GA)

Adding: this is the kind of thing you can experiment with a little bit. What you're doing in this situation isn't taking drastic action for safety's sake (as you would if he started to go really low, below 50 on a human meter), you're more fiddling and fine-tuning things, trying to see if there are any food manipulations you can to to help flatten out his curves. If you note what you are doing with food in the "Remarks" section of the spreadsheet, you can go back later and see if there are any noticable effects from adding a little snack vs. not.

It's great seeing him in blues!

Bellasmom likes this.
  34. Bellasmom

Thank you so much

35. Bellasmom

So I’m giving some food to help stabilize that number so it doesn’t go lower to fast?

36. Nan & Amber (GA)

That's the idea :). It's the kind of thing that there are no hard-and-fast rules to go by (when exactly to give a snack, what kinds of numbers trigger action, etc.), but it's worth doing a little experimenting to see how he responds to this kind of thing.

Bellasmom likes this.
  37. Bellasmom

Don’t you think we are getting close to a correct dosage, Kris has been so kind with all the help, all of you have been

38. Nan & Amber (GA)

Yes, I was thinking that he's looking pretty good on this dosage! The reason I threw out the suggestion to start experimenting with adding snacks is the following: Bella is showing that a quite small dose of Novalin (0.5U) is able to bring him down to good numbers, but he's still spending quite a bit of time in yellows and pinks. With a powerful, fast-acting insulin like Novalin, it's hard to really work on those yellows and pinks by increasing the dose much-- you have a little room to work with (and I'll defer to Kris on any dose specifics), but you don't really want to aim for lows much lower than the low blues while he's going up and down like this, or you risk him going too low into hypo territory (below 50). Food can sometimes help to flatten out these ups and downs a bit, which can makes a "good" dose more effective at the overall goal, keeping him regulated in healthy numbers for as much time as possible. It's just something to consider, and experiment with if you want to do that, but don't worry about it too much-- the biggest factor in getting him to better numbers is of course the insulin, which you've been doing a great job with!

39. Kris & Teasel

I’m glad Nan was here to help. :) That big drop might explain why you’ve had some pink PSs recently. Did your husband give a little snack? Would it be possible to get a +5 or +6? Today’s scenario is showing why that data is good to have. I know it’s not possible all the time so here’s an opportunity.

Here’s something to think about for dosing. The 0.5 u has looked good but it might be a tiny bit too much. Instead of dropping down to 0.25 u right away, how about trying what we call a “skinny” 0.5 u? Draw up the usual 0.5 u and let out a drop but not enough to put the insulin level half way between zero and 0.5 u. This is tricky but doable with practice. You could try that dose tonight and tomorrow to see what happens.

40. Bellasmom

Yes he gave snack and I will have him take it now

41. Bellasmom

How do I log a skinny.5 dose

42. Kris & Teasel

Like this - s0.5 u. Just type in the lower case letter s in front of 0.5 u.

43. Bellasmom

150 +5.50

44. Bellasmom

Hubby said he gave him 6 pieces and orijen cat food and some Stella and chewys, 2 nuggets dry

45. Kris & Teasel

That’s a bit inflated from the snack but a good, safe number. One more at +6.5 or +7 if your husband is willing?

46. Bellasmom

Hubby said he was in a panic that’s why he gave the orijen, he said he was scared it would go real low, I told him to relax, it’s ok, when I say snack just some of his reg food. Kris, I swear if Bella smells carb his BG rises

47. Bellasmom

Yes he is willing, funny when I met my hubby he wasn’t crazy about any cats and he has taken them under his wing and would do anything for them, short funny story, he leaves tv on for them when he goes to work and he said he won’t leave on animal planet station because they have like animal rescues like from abuse and bad stuff and he doesn’t want them watching it lol lol lol

48. Nan & Amber (GA)

That is fantastic!!!!

49. Kris & Teasel

Love this!! :D I'm glad your husband is a fan of kitties now.

Very interesting that Bella is so responsive to carbs. It's good tool for you to have if he drops too low and it also explains the turnaround in his numbers when you switched to very low carb recently - along with getting the UTI treated.

Bellasmom likes this.
  50. Bellasmom

He has been trying to get Bella out from under bed, hubby said he saw him coming and ran under bed

51. Bellasmom

52. Kris & Teasel

That’s great! On his way up I think. Good data today. :)

53. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nice run of blues!!!

Poor hubby having to chase the cat. They always know when you want them for something!

54. Bellasmom

PMPS 331 exactly what it was this time yesterday

55. Kris & Teasel

Probably because of the steep drop today - and maybe yesterday as well.

56. Bellasmom

I did s.05

57. Kris & Teasel

It's an experiment. Try this dose tonight and tomorrow AM and PM to see what happens. :) Try for a before bed test tonight.

58. Bellasmom

Boy it was hard to get just a itty bitty amount out lol, but I finally did it, hard to believe that that amount makes a diff lol

59. Kris & Teasel

It can make a difference but no vet will buy that! ;) If his dose has to come down more - and I'm still guessing at this - you'll go from a skinny 0.5 u to 0.25 u to 0.1 u to a tiny, tiny drop. That's how people ease their kitty off insulin altogether if that's where kitty is headed. We don't know that yet.

Are you keeping the appointment with the new vet this Saturday?

60. Bellasmom

Unfortunately I’m gonna have to postpone for a cpl weeks, with Bella and Abby have to go to er and then Bella went to reg vet funds just aren’t there right now, they killed me in the past month, but are worth it, please know I never complain about spending the money on them I just worry sometimes how long I can keep up lol

61. Kris & Teasel

It doesn't seem urgent right now with the UTI recovery and (I hope) good progress on the BG front.

Bellasmom likes this.
  62. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Hi Bellasmom, just stopping in to see how Bella is doing... :)

It sounds and looks like he is doing really well!!!

63. Bellasmom

Bella’s is doing lots better thanks for asking, it is all due to the help you all these wonderful people on here who help me and also I think that the change in food has helped, we are down the s.5u to see how that works, he was finally in the yellow this am and had blue numbers for most of the day yesterday. How are you guys doing? Her numbers look great, you are doing a great job:bighug:

Magic Johnson likes this.
  64. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

I’m so glad for you & Bella! Why do they have to give us a scare...Your hubby is a real trooper for being there! It’s funny about the TV; you’ve changed him.
    I hope this skinny number stays on a good path for you & I’m so thankful for all this support you’re getting.. I do skinny & fat doses & it’s kinda hard at first but I believe every drop can make a difference. Your a great set of cat parents!! Go Bella!

Bellasmom likes this.
  65. Kris & Teasel

Woo hoo! Look at that yellow - and a low yellow too! :smuggrin: Will your husband be able to get a test between +4 and +6 today? I hate to nag but when you’re easing him down with ever decreasing doses like this it’s important to see what the dose is doing.

66. Bellasmom

Yes, he can, this am he says do I have to prick that poor thing today and I said depends on what Kris says lol, he said the poor guys needs a break I feel bad for him, ahhhhhh

67. Bellasmom

Thanks I appreciate that, I know everyday I do the best I can for him and that’s all we can do, how are you guys doing, baby still being a big tiger outside lol

68. Kris & Teasel

I truly understand not wanting to cause pain. I wouldn't be pushing for this if I didn't think it was important. On the off chance that your husband sees a dark green number today, tell him not to panic. If it's about 60 and up give Bella a little snack of his regular low carb food and test 30 minutes later. If it's 50 to 59 give a higher carb snack and retest 30 minutes later.

I don't think a lime green will pop up based on yesterday's numbers at 0.5 u but he could surprise you. Again, try not to panic. Feed a little gravy from a high carb wet food, maybe with a drop or two of Karo. Retest after 30 minutes. Repeat if BG is still too low, retest after 30 minutes, etc. Not trying to scare you with this but knowing what to do is helpful. I have to go out today from about +1.5 to +7 at the latest. You can post on the main health forum if you need advice. Again ... just getting prepared in case. :)

69. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

WOW that is a great number this morning!!! Bella is doing amazing! You guys are amazing taking care of him AND you got that at .5

If I drop that low with Maj is always goes up for me hopefully at some point I can do that someday!

So it really looks like Bella’s making much of his own insulin now with just a teensy tiny bit of help with the .5?

70. Bellasmom

You will get there I’m sure, trust me been a long road and a lot of no sleep nights, didn’t ever think it would come and I truly from my heart don’t think we would be where we are today without this forum

Magic Johnson and Kris & Teasel like this.
  71. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Yep -she is outside this very minute stalking a mole in my yard! She will get him!! I’m bundled up drinking my coffee with her. Playing tiger kitty in the great outdoors! I need to get her in to get her ears warmed up... it’s cold but she doesn’t seem to care or listen when I call!! Happy you all are doing well now!!

72. Bellasmom

73. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

WOW so cool!!! And a slim .5 too!

...go Bella!!!!

Bellasmom likes this.
  74. Bellasmom

75. Bellasmom

I think I’m gonna do this for Bella for being such a trooper during all this and it’s super cheap AD19030B-B4BA-411F-9BDE-260FBB78E167.jpeg

Kris & Teasel and Magic Johnson like this.
  76. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

That is totally awesome my kitty loves her wheatgrass! But I cannot find a planter tray low and flat enough to do it? It looks like you found a way to do it!! - IMA copy you and Bella!!!

I totally love the relaxed leg hanging over the side of ‘the bed’. It looks like they used regular sod! :) totally cool :smuggrin:

Bellasmom likes this.
  77. Bellasmom

It says it’s a concrete mixing tub from Home Depot, don’t know if your from the states or not so I don’t know if you have a Home Depot, yeah just a sheet of sod

78. Kris & Teasel

I'm back. I like that lovely gentle slide down today. Keep the s0.5 u for now. :smuggrin:

That tray of grass for a kitty is wonderful! :D We have Lowes and Home Depot here.

79. Bellasmom

What does OTJ stand for and what is the Ga by people’s names mean

80. Nan & Amber (GA)

OTJ is "off the juice", ie in remission and diet controlled (no insulin). "GA" is "gone ahead" or "guardian angel"-- refers to a kitty who has passed on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.