Bellas first curve

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Scottish_Bella, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottish_Bella

Scottish_Bella Member

Hi I am new to BG testing, today was my first day trying to do a curve
    Can someone have a look and tell me whether Bellas numbers are good or bad please
    She is on 1 unit of Prozinc twice a day, has been on it for for 2 weeks and I've only been testing for a few days
    Any feedback would be appreciated thanks

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Welcome, Susan! And great job getting started with home testing!!!

How is Bella doing? Looking at her numbers, they are too high (I'm guessing you already know that part ;)) It could be that she is bouncing from a low number, but more likely it's just not enough insulin yet. The way to know the difference is to keep testing at random times on different days. It might be helpful to look at some of our spreadsheets to see how we scatter tests around to build a picture of how our cats are doing.

Has she been on one unit since her diagnosis?

Scottish_Bella likes this.
  3. Scottish_Bella

Scottish_Bella Member

Yes she has been on 1 unit since diagnosis, when you say not enough insulin, does insulin build up in the blood? Or will her dose need to be increased?
    She is back at the vet in a month, I was just going to keep going with the insulin and testing and will take her spreadsheet to the vets when we go back and decide what to do.
    What sort of numbers should we be aiming for?

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

ProZinc is what is called an "in and out" insulin so there's little, if any, buildup in the bloodstream. It's very early days for you so you're at the stage of figuring out how Bella responds to ProZinc. Finding the good dose can take some time. Testing at home is the best thing you can do to accomplish that as well as keep her safe. The goal down the line is to reach a dose that will have her around 10 or 11 at pre shot and around 4 to 7 at nadir. Slow and steady small dose increases will get you there. Unfortunately, many vets suggest increases of 0.5 unit or even 1.0 unit at a time which we feel is too much. You can zoom right past a good dose if you do that. We recommend increases of 0.25 unit at a time, especially with the low dose level Bella is at.

Another important thing to know that the good dose can move around over time, sometimes a little higher and sometimes a little lower. Home testing is the way to deal with that. :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Djamila and Scottish_Bella like this.
  5. Scottish_Bella

Scottish_Bella Member

Thanks I feel more in control doing home testing, I will keep testing as much as I can and hopefully this will give us the information we need to get her under control and feeling better

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.