Benedryl, 1 25m pill 3x's a day??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Marcy & Klinger (GA), Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

Klinger has seasonal allergies and he used to get a steriod shot. Probably what pushed him over the edge to being a diabetic. Anyway, saw the vet on Friday because he started scratching out his fur on his neck and she gave him an antibiotic shot. This hasn't helped much. Was going to bring him back in this morning; the vet just called and said to save ourselves a trip, give him 25m pill of benedryl 3 times a day.
    This seems like a lot and I wanted to check with the folks on the Board.
    Thanks!

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Per Plumb's Vet Drug Manual the dose ranges from 0.5 mg/kg bid to 2-4 mg (total dose) bid or sid.

4. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks Sue and Larry! I thought that was high! Gave 1/4 of a pill.

5. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

I don't know what the regular dose for a cat is, but...I often get orders for inpatient meds which are 25 mg diphenhydramine/benedry - for insomnia. NOT for around the clock use, unless it's being used as an anti-histamine.

But that's 25 mg for an adult, not a cat.

Sounds super high to me...

6. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Is Benadryl really the best option for cat allergies? I've used chlorpheniramine w/ Cuddles for years, with no side effects.

Hmmm, well I found this helpful website:

http://www.vetpets.net/animaltimes/humandrugs.html

I see that chlor is listed that it can cause drowsiness too though, so I guess it just depends on which on your cat does better on! ;-)

7. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Ok, the site I listed above also gives dosing information of "Dogs and cats can be given 1-2 mg/lb every eight hours." So I guess if your cat weighs 25 LBS! Then that would be a correct dose. :razz: But I'd start w/ the 1mg per lb to be on the safe side (or even lower) & see which dose works best for your cat. I agree that 25mg TID sounds like way too much though!

8. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

That seems high to me. My dog Sculley was on Benedryl for her allergies and she only got one pill a day. She also weighed about 18 lbs.

9. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Acoording to my Veterinary Drug Handbook- benadryl 2mg per kg once a day, twice if absolutely needed.

My cats have had reactions to other meds and benadryl works great. I myself give 1/4 of a 25mg pill, so that would be about 6.25mg .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.