Bertie, no insulin for a month - after nearly 11 years on insulin...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Elizabeth and Bertie, Oct 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Bertie was diagnosed in early Jan 2007, at the age of 8.
    The diagnosing vet suggested I have him put to sleep, because 'diabetic cats are so difficult to care for'.
    Feeling absolutely distraught, I got online and then found that there were people out there successfully treating their diabetic cats. And I found FDMB.
    ..Needless to say, I also got a new vet.....

Bertie's blood glucose levels were mostly high for quite a long time. And at one point he was on 15 units of insulin a day, split into 3 doses a day.
    Over time, and with two changes of insulin, his blood glucose levels dropped and stabilised. And his insulin requirements became less and less and less.

For a couple of years now he's had insulin on an 'as needed basis', initially every few days, but then he'd go as long as 14 days at a time before needing insulin.
    Now, he's gone a whole month and is in nice normal numbers today....
    I'm not calling it 'remission' because, knowing Bertie, he may well throw me a curve ball....

Bertie is almost 19 now. He is getting a little frail, but still really enjoys life.
    I'm immensely proud of my boy. [​IMG]

I do hope our story offers encouragement to others, especially to those who have newly diagnosed kitties, or to those who have kitties that have been on insulin for a while, and who think their situation may not improve much.

I'm also very grateful to FDMB for the support, wisdom, and friendship that I've found here. You taught me how to care for Bertie, and the lessons I learned here undoubtedly saved his life...
    Thank you all! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Eliz

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

That is a great story! Many more years for Bertie!

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

That is so great to hear. Thank you.. and congratulations.

4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Congratulations Elizabeth!! :bighug:

With the wisdom that you learned here and your love and devotion for Bertie you have done a wonderful job of giving him so much time and quality. Such an inspiration for other members.

5. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Congrats Elizabeth! Thank U for sharing Bertie's story! Wishing u both continued good health!

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

So nice to hear how well your senior guy is doing.

7. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Definitely an inspirational tale! Well done Eliz!

Diana x

8. Alfred's Human

Alfred's Human Member

Thank you so much for sharing your story! I'm so happy you didn't listen to that vet and have given Bertie so many years of happiness and life!! :bighug: Bertie is an amazing cat and you're an amazing caregiver! I'm so happy for you and Bertie and inspired to try harder and do better for my kitty. We can do it!! :cat:

9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Amazing!!!

10. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Congratulations Elizabeth and Bertie!!!!

11. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

:bighug:What a wonderful and inspiring story:) Thank you so much for sharing it, Elizabeth ! Our elder kitties can still surprise us ...what a gift to have him still at 19 :bighug::bighug::bighug:

12. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Elizabeth, tell Bertie I'm so happy he has been a month off the juice. You deserve a pat on the back for how well you've taken care of him!

13. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

That's absolutely wonderful, Eliz! Yes, you should be immensely proud of your boy, but also of yourself, for the years of love and dedication that have gotten the two of you to this point! (Bah! to any vet who suggests putting down a kitty with FD!) Kudos to both of you from me and Squallie. Gotta love these senior boys! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

14. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

That is indeed an inspirational story. How great that he is now 19 years old. And how unfortunate that some vets can be so clueless. Glad you found a new vet so long ago.

15. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

This is a wonderful report, Elizabeth! :):bighug:

16. Ann & Liz

Ann & Liz Member

Wonderful news and gives us real encouragement for Lilas journey. Thank you.

17. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!

Is great to hear how well he's doing, also very inspiring Thank you for sharing your story with us:bighug::bighug::bighug:

18. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Well Bertie you showed everyone. I think you should go tell the previous vet a few choice words. You keep going boy!!!!

19. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

20. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

I believe you are the hero here & Bertie is the blessed kitty! A great job both of you & lots of head bumps for your Bertie!:cat: Beautiful story!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.