Best canned food @ 1% carbs actual

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by George&Bert, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

Spoke to owner Scott Freeman of "Natuure's Logic" and I must say after talking to so many manufactures the two most Knowlegable people are Mr. Freeman and the owner of Evangers. They know their stuff!
    Wih NL you also get natural suppliments instead of synthesized, a much better feed for good health. The dry is also very good. I'm switching. Check out his website and you will impressed...no bull!

http://www.natureslogic.com/products/cp_dry_chi.html

Also, you may want to try "Taste of the Wild" canned.

2. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

It's funny you found Evanger's knowledgable. They make the absolute worst cat food I have ever seen. Their Gold Line All Fresh Vegetarian Dinner does not contain ANY meat nor even any high protein meat substitutes. This is their description from their website Evanger's Dog and Cat Food Company:

All Fresh Vegetarian Dinner - A canine and feline dinner of fresh potatoes, carrots, peas, tomatoes, avocados, blueberries, and cranberries from the market place with brown rice makes a flavorful and complete dinner. A healthy choice for pets susceptible to food allergies or diabetes.

Note that they recommend it for pets suceptible to diabetes!

3. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

I may have missed it, but I didn't see carbohydrates on the "as fed" analysis at all. But the ingredient list of the dry has these sources : Brewer's Yeast, Flaxseed, Pumpkin Seed, Kelp, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Avocado, Chicory Root, Tomato Powder, Apple Powder, Blueberry Powder, Apricot Powder, Carrot Powder, Pumpkin Powder, Cranberry Powder, Broccoli Powder, Spinach Powder, Parsley, Artichoke.

And the only meat was "chicken meal". I've seen dry food with better meat sources, so I'd probably skip the dry (which I use as a treat only), but the canned product looks like it contains very nice protein sources! I have no idea why they decided to add the other foolishness to such good ingredients (Tomato Powder, Parsley, Blueberry, Cranberry, Apricots, Spinach, Artichoke, Broccoli, Carrots, Pumpkin, Kelp, Chicory Root, Rosemary) - all unnecessary but probably harmless.

4. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Sorry, but all of those extra ingredients are marketed towards humans, and should not be included for cats.

5. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

I agree with the others, Evanger talks a good game, but doesn't follow through with the product. Also, George, 1 percent of calories from carbohydrates on a continuous basis is not enough. The 'under 10 percent' meme is arbitrary, not law, it is a suggestion only. Diabetics in the 10-14 percent range do well, and some diabetics even require more carbohydrates to maintain good numbers and a good level of activity.

I am concerned with the trend here to categorize carbohydrate as the 'bad guy' and especially concerned with the perceived need to cut below optimum levels. It's just not good nutrition.

6. natureslogic

natureslogic New Member

This is a response to Karen's comments about the added fruits and veggies in the Nature's Logic canned diets being foolishness, and then Jen's following comment that these ingredients are marketing to humans. I hope I can share information to convince otherwise.
    Let me preface a few things first. All three flavors (chicken, duck and rabbit) of Nature's Logic feline canned diets are approximately 95% meat/poultry and organ meat. The fresh or frozen meat or poultry the diets are made with have some bone-in which is well ground during processing. Their is enough organ meat and other natural animal protein in both canned diets and dry diets to supply a complete essential amino-acid profile including taurine. As you will see, no Nature's Logic diet has added taurine. Added taurine is synthetic with most coming from China. The natural taurine in our diets is very bio-available. In growth feeding trials, our kittens' final blood chemistry showed 97% more blood taurine than was required for substantiation. In our reproduction trials, our queens final blood chemistry after lactation showed 56% more blood taurine than was required for substantiation. Similar results of percentages much higher than required for the diets to be substantiated for all life stages were red blood cell levels, hemoglobin levels, and albumin protein levels. These results are indicative of the kittens and queens receiving proper nutrition and good bio-availability of essential nutrients such as proteins, iron, folate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, etc.
    Here is the point and qualification of why we add to our diets small amounts of dried fruits and veggie concentrates. Nature's Logic creates the only commercial dry and canned diets "in the world" that use only food in its diets to derive all essential nutrients. All other companies and diets use up to 26 chemically synthesized vitamins, minerals and amino acids. All added vitamins to pet foods are synthetic. There are added synthetic proteins like taurine. And there are man-made synthetic minerals; for example iron proteinate. The mineral is not sythetic, but when it was man-made into a chelated mineral, the protein molecule the iron molecule is attached to in most cases is synthetic. If it is not synthetic, then most of the time it is a soy or rice protein that is used. Rather than use up to 26 synthetic vitamin, minerals, and amino acids like other companies to make up for what their insufficient formulations lack, we do with food what they do with synthetic supplements. We are able to obtain most essential nutrients from the animal protein muscle meat, fat, bone and plasma protein, but for several nutrients we depend upon things like a small amount of alfalfa meal instead of adding menadione sodium bisulfite (synthetic form of Vitamin K) which has been band in some countries, we use cod liver oil as a natural source of vitamin D instead of added synthetic Vitamin D which excessive amounts in 2006 in a commercial diet caused hypercalcemia and renal failure and killed a number of cats and dogs.
    This is the rationale behind every ingredient used in the diet formulas to help supply the essential nutrients naturally with food instead of synthetic supplements. It is exactly how it is done in the wild. When the carnivore eats its prey small amounts of vegetation are consumed from the gullet or stomach.
    Our feeding trials for both dogs and cats out performed all the historical averages of the kennels conducting the trials. The excellent blood hematology and chemistry proved the exceptional availability of nutrients whereas scientific journals indicate many synthetic forms of nutrients are not very bio-available and many even pose toxic risks and interference with certain bodily functions.

7. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

Wow, I have to say that I am impressed you took the time to log in and post information here. Thank you for taking that time.

I see that Nature's logic IS sold near me, but unfortunately I run a cat sanctuary and I cannot afford to buy premium products for the 15 cats that reside in my foster sanctuary home, but I just wanted to say I was impressed you took the time to post here. If I ever get a windfall donation that isn't eaten up by veterinary bills, I might try a bag for our Feline Leukemia and Feline Aids positive cats, at the least.

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Interesting, the natureslogic post stated:
    There are added synthetic proteins like taurine.
    However, taurine is an amino acid not a protein. Also, I see nothing wrong with synthetic vitamins and other things since there are really the same as the natural ones. Look how good the synthetic insulins work in humans.

9. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Nice to see a PR department on its toes.

10. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I think it's worth a try, although the Chicken is the only flavor my cats will eat among those available. They have never liked anyone's rabbit or duck, even raw.

11. natureslogic

natureslogic New Member

Larry, sorry about the confusion. Proteins are made of amino acids. When we refer to analyzing our dog or cat food, we talk about the break down of our crude protein into its separate amino-acids, example: arginine, histidine, isoleucine, leucine, etc.
    As far as synthetic vitamins, when you get your vitamins from foods as nature intended, they are working synergistically with as many as 5,000 other natural chemical molecules found in foods such as phytonutrients. They also work properly with all other nutrients from a good varied whole food diet. In contrast, people or animals fed a concoction of synthetics are often missing important other elements or excesses can occur causing the body to go array resulting in retention of too much calcium, bone changes, depressed growth, osteoporosis, hemorrhage, toxicity and even death. Getting your nutrients from food never has the potential side effects. There are many health organizations such as the U. S. Cancer Institute that say do not use synthetic supplements and enccourage people to get them from food only.

12. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Natures Logic,

I would be interested in trying your canned cat products. So, would you be willing to give us coupons to try some cans and see if our cats like it.

I am not interested in the dry food as dry food is one of the things that caused the diabetes in my cat and I won't go down that road again. (FYI - Many of us here feel the same way about dry food).

13. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

Usually, feeding the majority of the cats that have come through my rescue a healthy generic diet, I.e., 9-lives, friskies, Fancy Feast or whatever, even dried or canned, in a rescue environment does well enough for the majority of the cats that come through here. Bear in mind, It is optimum that they get adopted into purr-ever homes where their owners can and will feed them diets they feel is best for their own individual cat. Rescue is like a hospital ER - set up for the emergency to help the animal get back on its feet and go home.

BUT - as I run a special needs rescue, I see all types of things. I have had one litter that comes to mind (Belle and her kittens, Stubbs, Mr. T, Scarlett, Rhett) who all exhibited the most severe food allergies we'd ever seen. Trajically, they all died too young as their livers and bodies couldn't handle the stress. What we eventually narrowed it down to is their primary allergy and culprit was CHEMICALS. The chemically processes that pet foods undergo was their downfall. Their bodies ended up, in effect, being slowly poisoned by the chemicals that most of us can process well enough, but these particular odd litter of cats couldn't process, for some reason or another. A switch to organic foods baked rather than chemically processed effected the best results for them, but none of them lived past 4 years of age.

I always felt they were a forewarning of what we are all doing to ourselves with chemicals. But I digress. Being special needs, although MOST cats do well enough on most diets, SOME cats DO have special needs. When dealing with our medical special needs cats, DIET can help us get the best results for them. ECID - evaluate your cats on their individual needs.

I do appreciate the information this thread has put out there. Thanks for bringing it up.

14. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Thanks for bringing up the allergy consideration, Maureen. Since Folly came to me as an incurably allergic cat he has improved almost to the point of being allergy free with the change to a better diet. I didn't put it together with chemicals until you wrote the above, but it resonates.

The other thing about synthetic vitamins that concerns me is that most of them are now being made in China. The melamine poisoning has made all of us aware of the dangers of blindly trusting Chinese made products we eat.

15. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Getting nutrients from food vs synthetic sources is always preferable. No question. But when dealing with obligate carnivores who are also diabetic cats, we need to be very careful because the source of many of those vitamins raises the carbohydrate count of the food ... and that's something we try to avoid.

As for the dry food, there isn't enough real meat and too many fruits and veggies. But, that aside, we tend to try to avoid dry food for cats because of their tendency to develop renal disease (especially diabetics). Cats need moisture in their food, and a dehydrated diet- no matter how good the ingredients- is simply not healthy for these animals, altho' many of us use small amounts as a treat now and then. I would be willing to feed the canned food if I knew for sure the fruits/veggies did not significantly raise the carb level.

16. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Interesting thread.

Ms/Mr Naturelogic - I appreciate you posting about your food and the reasons why you have certain ingredients. It makes sense. Also it is tough to get straight answers from food maufacturers. I hope your answers are "straight". lol.

However, if feels just a bit like a corporate PR "sell" especially because we don't have a friendly name to go with your user name. The vast mjority of us use our names and our cats' names in out user name or have it in our signature. Everyone know sho I am, for instance.

How about it? What is your name? Are you Scott?

17. Hillary & Maui (GA)

I pm'd with him and yes his name is Scott - lol

18. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hi Scott,

I received the package yesterday and gave the girls the chicken for dinner. My girls (3) seem to like it. I was impressed that it had minimal smell and what I could smell was ok. I found the density of the product impressive and since I always add water to my cat's food, it pureed nicely.

I am excited to see how they like the other flavors, so I know which ones to get the next time I go to the store (Animal Crackers in Clark NJ).

Thank you again for the samples and coupons. While I believe from the ingredient list, that your canned foods are diabetic friendly (low carb), I don't think we asked if you could provide us with the "as fed" food values.

I'd love to have your products added to Janet & Binky's food chart
    Janet & Binky's food chart. In order to do that, she needs the following information:

If you have "as fed" information (not so-called "guaranteed" or label values) . . .

. . . And you'd like me to add them to the food tables, please e-mail me at binky dot cat at sbcglobal dot net. At the very least, I need "as fed" values for protein, fat, and carbohydrate. It would also be helpful to have "as fed" values for phosphorus, fiber, water, ash, and calcium, along with calorie information. I cannot use any number which is labeled "maximum" or "minimum", because it is by definition not an accurate value.

Would you mind providing it to us. I will post this on the original discussion, so that it will bump up and the group can see.

19. Cheryl & Tux

Cheryl & Tux Member

I find this thread interesting as Cammie's vet has commented that she thinks her allergies/sensitivities are to preservatives or synthetic compounds in the foods. Since taking her off all commercial foods and treats and switching her to an all raw diet her skin and digestive issues have cleared up. Cammie could not eat any commercial beef food w/o vomiting within minutes but she happily eats raw beef on a regular basis with no problems. Quite honestly I don't see myself ever going back to commercial foods for any of my current or future animals but if I did I would at least take a look at Nature's Logic. It would be nice if we can get the as-fed values to add to Janet & Binky's food charts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.