Best canned food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Stephanie Montgomery, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephanie Montgomery

Stephanie Montgomery Member

Hi, switching to canned food. All my cats love it (previous food before this happened is Blue Buffalo dry) but I am doing it mainly because my boy Tobey was recently diagnosed. He's not overweight, was on steroids for about 6 weeks, and is about to be 12 y.o.

Need food advice since I'm switching all of them at same time so we don't have any dry food for Tobey to access. Suggestions on what she the best? 4 cats in all.

Thanks!
    Stephanie

2. Stephanie Montgomery

I have been trying to find best option for the low carb and high protein. But healthy too and affordable as possible.

Lindacat likes this.
  3. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

Steroids are what pushed Squeaker into diabetes as well. Most of us find that Little Friskies Classic Pate except Mixed Grill and Fancy Feast Classics are inexpensive options. On the pricey side, Weruva was our favorite.

4. DavidS

DavidS New Member

I know this topic is asking about canned food, but I don't think there is a canned food that's low carb, high protein, extra healthy, and also inexpensive all in one. Inexpensive canned foods are typically higher in fat than protein because protein is expensive.

Probably the only way to get all that criteria met is to do some of the homemade recipes, either cooked or raw, using conventional chicken legs/thighs, eggs, and chicken liver, along with the necessary supplements(vitamin B complex, vitamin E, taurine, iodine salt, eggshell calcium or bone meal): http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood

That way you can also avoid all the questionable ingredients that are found even in many expensive brands like sunflower oil, guar gum, carrageenan, synthetic vitamin K, etc.

I've been using Friskies Classic pate (Mixed Grill, Country Style Dinner, and Poultry Platter, but I may quit the Poultry Platter as I found it's higher in phosphorus than the other two) because they are cheap, low carb, free of fish, corn, soy, wheat, and many of the brands that cost four times as much still include some of those problematic ingredients anyway. I've also tried Weruva recently for the low phosphorus, and my cat likes it, but it's certainly not inexpensive at $1.85 for a 5.5 oz can.

5. Stephanie Montgomery

Any suggestions when I have 3 other cats that aren't diabetic and I work all day while they're gone. Used to free feeding and they're on dry blue buffalo. They like canned but it's too much money and time to use fancy feast. I want bigger cans of food than that...and I can just try to pour them on a couple plates I guess? Need suggestions. Thanks!

6. Stephanie Montgomery

I wish I had time for making food. Going to have to find a solution to multiple cat household and that I work gone 11 hours a 5 days a week.

7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Automatic feeder comes to mind. Not sure how it would work if your kitties steal each other's. 2 of mine won't eat Smokey food so the feeder works for us.

8. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

When we switched from free feeding kibble to all wet canned I started by experimenting and trying to find what Radar would eat because the best food for my cat is what he will eat. I found the food list compiled by Dr. Pierson to be a great place to begin my search because it tells you what the content of the food is in percentages of carbs, fat and protein as well as phosphorous content and calories. Go to this website http://catinfo.org/?link=cannedfoods for lots of great information that may help you. Here is a link to the list. Be patient with the kitties while you are searching for what they like. It took months for us to work out what Radar loved and what was on the "icky" list.

Stephanie Montgomery likes this.
  9. Stephanie Montgomery

Thanks, I'll check it out.

10. Stephanie Montgomery

11. Stephanie Montgomery

My neighbor has a diabetic cat and she has 6 others too that all share this food. With 6 cats she saidsaid it's the best option, healthy and economically.

12. Stephanie Montgomery

How much do you spend on Tiki cat?

13. DavidS

DavidS New Member

I've just looked through some of the Dave's cat food flavors. Some of them contain sweet potatoes and squash, which are carbs that you don't need. However I found these two flavors of Dave's that don't have any high-carb ingredients. They do contain guar gum and carrageenan, but they still seem better than most other commercial foods:

Dave's healthy grain free turkey and giblets: https://www.chewy.com/daves-pet-food-naturally-healthy/dp/51682
    Dave's healthy grain free beef and chicken dinner
    https://www.chewy.com/daves-pet-food-naturally-healthy/dp/51683

14. Stephanie Montgomery

Thanks, I'll look into those. Also I just found Tiki cat. Looks like a really good choice! I am going to order it.

15. DavidS

DavidS New Member

Hm, The Tiki Cat sure is expensive, considering the cans are about the same size as Fancy Feast cans.
    And if you decide to order from chewy here is a coupon code to get $15 off of $49+ (new customers only)
    LP2C4WWV

16. Stephanie Montgomery

I actually saved 20% on my order for autoship. So it was about the same savings. I'm gonna try this food. I can give my other cats something different more affordable canned food in the evening time when I'm home.

17. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I have 2 fussy boogars-
    1 with FD and 1 wit CKD
    both get low carb wet--
    fancy feast
    NV pride
    Pinnacle
    Daves
    Ziwi peak
    Max cat Only a few LC
    tiki
    sheba
    a million kinds of freeze dried
    chewys is great customer service--if they do not like it they will pick it up and refund you with no issues-

18. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

oh weruva mideast feast is very popular here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.