Best cat food help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gizmo153, Sep 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gizmo153

Gizmo153 New Member

hi! My cat Gizmo was diagnosed with diabetes and put on dm by purina (wet savory and dry) and also royal canin dry. He is now on Prozinc 3.5 x 2.

I saw the wonderful food list and have also been giving him fancy feast classic beef and liver.

I feel overwhelmed and want to give my furry baby the best food possible. I can’t even process cooking it at home but just want to make sure I don’t do anything to hurt him! I almost was tempted to start cooking. Maybe I should be cooking? Ah...*I don’t know what the best is.

What is the best quality wet food that won’t give crystals aka sso indexed?

Xox,
    Mary

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I am glad you are home testing. You do want to monitor closely if you change foods to something lower carb. My civvie (non diabetic cat) got crystals one week after Neko's diabetes diagnosis, so I had to look for a food that would be suitable for both. Turns out a good quality low carb food, ideally with lower phosphorus, and plenty of water added, did the trick. Sounds like you have been to Dr. Lisa Pierson's website on Feline nutrition https://catinfo.org/. She has a page on bladder issues as well as a food list that contains the carb/phosphorus listings for many of the foods available in North America. And she tells you how to read food labels. I ended up feeding raw food, but that's a personal choice. No cooking involved! There are plenty of good quality foods out there. I avoided anything with by products or "meal" in it if I was feeding canned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.