Best Cat food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KittyH1983, Apr 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KittyH1983

KittyH1983 New Member

My Peter was recently diagnosed with diabetes and I am now considering changing his food. What do people recommend?

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

What you opt to feed Peter depends on what Peter will eat and what you can afford! Many people here feed Fancy Feast and Friskies pate style foods. They are among the least expensive.

What's important is that carbohydrate content of what you feed your diabetic cat. You want food that is less than 10% carb -- and most people here feed closer to the 5% range. Lisa Pierson, DVM has an excellent website on feline nutrition. Included on the site is an extensive list of most of the canned foods available in the US along with information on carbs, among other values. We encourage everyone to feed their cat a canned food diet. Most dry food is too high in carbs.

3. KittyH1983

KittyH1983 New Member

Thanks for your response. I usually feed Peter Reveal wet cat food, but as this is not a complete cat food, I also have Hill's dry food available throughout the day. I am guessing I need to stop the dry food and find a wet cat food that is complete. :(

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Fancy Feast makes several types of pate that are good for diabetic kitties. My Diabetic passed years ago but I have continued using FF to this day. If you stop the dry make sure you do it slowly and test test test. Removing dry could drop kitty's bg numbers to dangerous low levels because ALL dry food are packed with carbs.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Would you please update your User Id "Signature" to include some data. So we can help you better? Through the "magic" of computers, that info would appear at the bottom of all your posts.

Editing your Signature, Profile, and Preferences

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.