Best Ketone meter?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JennRoss86, May 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

Good morning from Orlando! :coffee::coffee:

I have two questions:

1) With Grey's numbers the way they are, do I *need* to test him for ketones?

if #1 is a yes, then:

2) What is the best meter to buy? I use the AlphaTrak2 for his BGs and I know ketone strips don't work in that meter. I would also like to stick with a feline one, I'm looking around on Amazon, but there are so many choices!

Any help would be greatly appreciated :bighug:

Love,
    Jenn & Mister Grey:cat:

2. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

WOW!!! Look at that beautiful spreadsheet!! Good luck on your curve today, but Mister Grey is looking fantastic! I believe you only really need to test for ketones if your kitty's blood glucose numbers are above the renal threshold (above 240-280 depending on the cat). I would also test if your kitty seems off. Mister Grey hasn't been above renal threshold since May 6-7th, so you likely don't need to test right now. I relatively recently got a blood ketones meter and I love it! I got the Nova Max. I personally don't know which is the best, but I don't think they have a pet-calibrated ketones meter. This one seemed to have decent reviews and they had a good sale (free meter with purchase of test strips) on ADWDiabetes.com, so I went for it. I love having the control to test whenever, especially when I struggle to catch Lou in the loo for a urine test. :p

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I have the Keto-Mojo meter for checking Mia's ketones, and I really like it. It is a human meter. I am not aware of any pet ones.

I do not test very often since her numbers usually do not run too high, and she has no history of ketones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.