Best litter box...EVER!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sherry and Harley, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Good Morning Everyone!

I just wanted to give a shameless plug for the Smart Cat Box. I switched over to it a few weeks ago and absolutely love it! Almost every post that I read mentions testing for keytones. It couldn't be easier with this box, so if you have a keytone-prone or high-number kitty, I highly recommend trying this system.

This litter is made from seeds and the bottom of the box is slotted, so when the kitty urinates, the urine flows right through the bottom into a reservoir. It's so stinkin' easy! I just go in there once or twice a day and pull out the reservoir and dump in in the toilet. If you need to test, you can stick the Diastix strip right in the opening in the top of the reservoir. The other waste is easy to just lift out and toss in the trash.

I was SO sick of sweeping up tracked litter and wiping down the walls and every other surface that was covered with litter dust. Gross!! There is no mess with this box, other than a couple of scattered seeds from when she steps out. There is almost no waste and the seed litter lasts a really long time. You can even wash it and freshen it up if needed. I think I paid $15 for an extra 10lb bag (it came with 5lb bag...I haven't even opened the extra bag yet). I'm not gonna lie, it took her a week or so to decide that this new box was ok, but she's fully on board now!

Anyhow, I was just reading several posts that talked about testing for keytones and thought I'd post this. It was so stressful for me AND her, with me lurking outside the bathroom door waiting to ambush her with a test strip. Is she peeing? Oh, crap, I made her nervous and now she's bailing on the whole thing! Haha.

I'm trying so hard to be 'greener' in my house, and LOVE the fact that I am no longer filling the landfills with bags of used clay litter! Oh, and have I mentioned that my house no longer smells like a litter box! They say all of these same things on the website, but I was skeptical. I'm a true believer now!

I'm not at all affiliated with this company, just a super satisfied customer. Check it out!! :D :D

Smart Cat Box

Ciao!!

s

2. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hmm..It DOES look good. What exactly did you buy? Did you buy the high walled thing? Was the shipping cost a lot?

3. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

I just got the package deal, which is the box and a 5lb bag of seed, and then I bought the extra 10lb bag. I contemplated the higher wall gizmo, because my girl is a little portly, but she's done just fine with the regular box. All in all, it was about 85 bucks with shipping (it's heavy with the litter). TOTALLY worth it though. Like I said, I haven't even opened the extra bag of seed (litter) yet. You will love it! You'll have to let me know how you like it if you decide to give it a try!

s

4. Traci and Boomer

Hmmm! It sounds very interesting. Maybe I'll get it for my Mom. Someday when things calm down with me and my Merlin, maybe we'll try it too. Interesting concept for sure. I'd never have bought it without your plug though. I would have been too skeptical.

5. tecwmn

tecwmn Member

Ok, you totally sold me. No litter going into landfills? No pungent aromas? No litter stuck to the bottom of my feet? AWESOME!!

As soon as I get paid again, I am so getting this.

Thanks for the plug!! :D

6. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

:lol: :lol: I know it's only a litter box, but it's LIFE CHANGING! :lol: :lol:

You'll love it, I promise!! Let me know what you think when you get it!

s

7. dd & savannah

dd & savannah Member

I really want to buy one but I have a big kitty, she's 16 lbs and both of her current litter boxes are large enough to fit her. How big is the box? Also, how long do the safflower seeds last for?

Thanks for the suggestion, I am very interested!

8. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Regarding the safflower seeds - you can usually purchase a large bag of these locally in the wild bird food section of places like Wal-Mart,
    Home Depot, Lowe's, Petco, and Tractor Supply for far, far less than the cost that you would purchase them from the Smart Box people for.

~M

9. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

It's pretty big. I'm not sure of the measurements, but I'm sure they have that listed on the website. I also have a big girl and she fits just fine. If you're concerned, you can always purchase the higher sides to make sure she goes 'in' the box. So far, that hasn't been a problem.

Yes, you can buy the safflower seeds locally. You may need to pre-sift them if you do that. The seed that the website sells are guaranteed to be large enough to not fall through the slots. Seed for birds will most likely have smaller pieces that will need to be removed (sifted out). The cost is essentially the same, with the exception of the shipping.

So far, I've had the original seeds in the box...it's been almost a month. I don't have plans to change them any time soon!! Good luck!!

s

10. dd & savannah

dd & savannah Member

Thanks. I hate testing for ketones so this seems like a great solution. Plus I like the idea of no litter dust!
    dd

11. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you think it would work in a multi cat household?

Just curious, don't the seeds soak up the urine?

12. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Hi Robin-

I was (oddly) thinking about that yesterday. I think you'd have to have multiple boxes, depending on the # of kitties. The reservoir can probably hold up to 2-3 eliminations before needing to be dumped out (based on the amount my kitty urinates). If they were all using the same box, you'd have to be super vigilant about emptying it.

Nope! The seeds don't soak up the urine. It just runs right though!

s

13. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

If you use bleach to clean it, you *may* get a false positive reading for glucose on the ketodiastix strips. I think bleach won't influence ketone readings, but you can stick your strip in diluted bleach to see if it changes.

14. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Not sure if you can buy the SmartBox through this site anymore.. please check the main page. It was advertised on here a lot, but lots of people had problems with ALL of their kitties using it.. including me. It's REALLY nice if they all will use it.. but sadly some kitties took right to it, and some hated it. So if they're peeing/pooping NEXT to the box, it really doesn't help. :sad: You can always buy this box, and have a regular litter box elsewhere for the cats that don't like it.. but then hopefully the diabetic that you're wanting to get the ketone test for WILL use this one & not the regular one! (for multi-cat households)

15. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Well, I can tell you that Harley WAS one of those kitties that refused it at first. I put her old box in the bathroom next to the new one and added the seed litter to the old box. She started going in there with the seed litter, so then I mixed a little of the clay litter in the new box. It's messy, cause the clay litter ends up filtering through the slots, but totally worked. Got rid of the old box completely! I do only have one kitty though....

Good luck!

s

16. Traci and Boomer

Not to be gross, but when they poop - how does that work? Do you scoop it out with some seeds on it? It just sits on top?

And the pee doesn't smell up the seeds? Wow. I'm considering this, but since it's expensive and I've already spent a ton of money on my new guy I'm gonna have to wait. He does seem to get the litter stuck to his paws and then all over the couch or bed. Eeew.

17. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Hey Traci-

The seeds are reportedly non-absorbent. I have not noticed any odor at all in the box and I'm still using the original seeds. The poo does just sit on top. I'm not gonna lie, she poos on the floor next to the box, but she did that with the old box...nothing to do with the new system...bad kitty! It's a pre-existing behavior that I've just learned to deal with. Luckily it's on the tile floor in the extra bathroom, so it's easily cleaned up with a little Clorox Cleanup. If you go to the website, there is a short video that explains how the whole thing works. So yes, you would just scoop out the poo and throw it away ( :lol: :lol: it's my goal to type 'poo' as many times as possible in this post! :lol: :lol: ). If you think about the amount of money you spend on litter, it really pays for itself pretty quickly. Good luck!

s

18. Traci and Boomer

I'm laughing! That was funny. Don't worry - I've been obsessed with Merlin's poop (and have been writing about it) for about two weeks! Eeewww.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.