Best LRS / SubQ supplies procurement?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gator & H (GA), Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

I need to re-up my LRS supplies. I do the drip method and prefer the 21g Terumo needles. Last time I bought from Thrivingpets.com:
    IV Admin Set, BBraun, 15 drop/ml, 79", Luer Lock @ $2
    Terumo Needles, 21 Gauge @ $7
    Shipping @ $7

On the old board someone posted that http://www.shopmedvet.com was a good place to purchase from. And that they may not need prescription like thrivingpets.com. And they they supposedly do have the 21g Terumo needles @ $5 even though they are not on their website. 15 drop/ml 100" IV sets for $1 and shipping for I think $10. They also have cheap Sharps containers... If anyone has purchased from them before if you refer me to them I think you may be able to earn $25?

I get my LRS from Costco with the AAA/Caremark discount.

Would I notice any benefit if I used 10drop/ml IV sets over 15 drop/ml?

Does anyone else have any other good places hints about buying LRS supplies? Not having to do the prescription for the IV set and needles is a definite bonus. And cheap is good too. :D

Pretty nifty, the shopmetvet.com place has a IV fluid warming unit for *only* $500. :mrgreen:

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I buy from Brico, and their west coast prices are slightly more than what you paid at Thrivingpet.

I don't know anything about the flow rates of the admin lines.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The 10 drops/ml sets may administer fluids a little faster than the 15 drops/ml set. However, I think the difference is insignificant. What ever you do , do not get the 60 drops/ml sets. They are very slow for subQ fluids administration.

Attached Files:

4. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

5. Gator & H (GA)

BTW the old post about Shopmedvet.com was here:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... ?8,1764648

I PMed Sheri to double check with her about her success with them and have not hear back yet.

Yea the CRF links was where I got Thrivingpets from [and the Costco idea].

6. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

I just ordered supplied from KV vet supplies. I found them very helpful. And no RX is needed for needles or tubing.

7. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Hmmm Not sure if I've ever shopped at KV vet like Patti stated. But I used to buy my needles from Reliable Dental.. I believe $7 for the box, but another $7 or so for shipping.. so the box would be about $14 I think. But no prescription. That's why I liked ordering there.. never had to wait for the shipment, due to a prescription or anything. Which is weird, because the NEEDLES didn't need a prescription.. but all the other stuff (including fluids.. a BAG of WATER) needs a prescription. :razz:

Dang.. can't remember where I got the other stuff either. I did find a cheaper place online than Brico.. it's expensive to ship to the west coast. They gave you a cheaper price if you bought 12 bags at a time or more too. With free shipping over $60.. so I always just stocked up on fluids when ordering. I can find the site if you want it. I think by now, their price went up, to around $3.29 a bag I think..? But you're not paying tax or shipping if you order $60 worth of bags. Sometimes I'd order some bags.. under $60, but with the shipping & such, it came to over $60! So I just kept adding bags until the shipping was wiped out, and I got all $60 worth of bags. :smile:

Oh! Googled it & found it. Valley Vet. Wow.. price went up though to $4.29 now.
    http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... tent=170RX

I'd get the lines & such from different places. Just wherever was cheaper.. sometimes I'd add it to my LRS shipment just to combine it all. If you google IV lines though, you can find some places that are really cheap! By buying stuff at different places, it actually saved me money. I just did a lot of searching & googling! I was never able to find anything w/o a prescription though, except the needles at Reliable Dental.

8. Gator & H (GA)

Just got back from Costco. A case of 12,000ml [12 x 1000ml] LRS was $23.15 + sales tax w/ the AAA discount.

I spoke with shopmedvet.com today. They will sell to individuals and they do not require prescription for IV Sets and needles to CA.

If one searches their site for "terumo" ALL the Terumo needles show up including the 21g by 1" inch ones we like for $5. If you just look at the category only the 1.5" inch ones show up and in only certain gauges.

9. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Gator, did you need a script? Was this in the pharmacy, where one does not need to be a Costco member to buy?

10. Gator & H (GA)

Yes, I did need a script. Even shopmedvet.com considers LRS a "medication." I had the script written for 12,000 ml LRS [a case of 12 x 1000ml bags] + few refills. One does NOT need to be a member to use a Costco pharmacy as long as they purchase a medication that is NOT over the counter.

I used the AAA/Caremark discount card. Most pharmacies will take this card. HOWEVER, most pharmacies as well as the Costco Pharmacy also have their own discount programs for people [and usually pets] that do not have insurance. This discount it not quite as good as the AAA discount but it is close. Many times the base Costco price is better than even the discount programs. One absolute KEY is to buy prescription in the FULL bottles [or case in this instance]. Like Cyprohepdadine - buy it is the full bottle of 100. Find out what the full bottle is and buy that quantity if you can especially if it is a generic. The pricing is totally different/less advantageous otherwise with generics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.