? Best place to buy syringes?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Panic, Jun 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I bought my last pack from ADW Diabetes, around $15 shipped for a 60 pack of U100s. Is there anywhere you all buy yours in larger quantities/better deals? :)

Also where do you get your sharps containers? Vet got me one for about $13 but I'm not sure where to get a new one.

Amina&M'row likes this.
  2. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

LOL -- I got my last sharps container from a thrift shop, seems one of the senior residences/nursing homes donates surplus stuff there

most pharmacies will have them, may be on the shelf, you may need to ask at the pharmacy counter

Walmart online shows them, so does Chewy

https://safeneedledisposal.org/sharps-management/management-and-disposal/

our local laws allow them to be disposed of in a sturdy plastic container, taped shut, labeled, so I have a liquid detergent bottle to load them into, once I have the official sharps container nearly full (using that container in the interim so no one messes with them)

these syringes actually come packed in a sharps container ! https://www.amazon.com/UltiCare-VetRX-Insulin-Syringes-Container/dp/B01MRCX4A0
    (not necessarily the best nor the cheapest, just giving you an idea)

defer to others as to where to buy good syringes in quantity and price ...

one complaint -- the Walmart U-100 syringes, .3cc's .. have the most tenacious needle caps ! I thought I was going to have to use pliers !
    finally used a coozie made of wetsuit material, to hold just the cap while I yanked the syringe away from it -- not a safe procedure !

Panic likes this.
  3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Ooh did not know Walmart sold them! I'll have to poke around their site and have a look, thanks Candy! My vet said they'll take my sharps containers when they're full at least, and it's getting to be about that time!

LOL that reminds me!! I felt like such a dum-dum, I always always struggle with getting the U100 caps off and in turn not bending the needles, but the day before yesterday I saw somewhere (don't even remember what I was reading about) it mentioned you're supposed to TURN the cap, then pull it off. I went to my syringes and tried it and it popped off like nobody's business. :woot:

4. CandyH & Catcat

good, glad that worked for you

these -- have turned clockwise, turned counterclockwise, MAYBE it makes it easier, still a hassle and I have sore muscles to prove it
    luckily have to do it only twice a day -- and if the coozie loses its magic, I have a bunch more of them;
    jar opener pads didn't work, ratcheting straps didn't work, old mouse pads didn't work, adhesive tape on the outside of the cap didn't work

instructions on the package do say to rotate the plunger safety cap, those come off very nicely

am crossing fingers, another member is mailing me some surplus U-40s; think they may be same brand I used up, those worked a treat

5. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

What kind of syringes are they?? The old U-40s I have would pop off easy enough, that was the only thing I liked about U-40s. Or maybe just that particular brand.

6. CandyH & Catcat

WalMart ReliOns .... :facepalm:

Panic likes this.
  7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If you're using U100's with ProZinc, you can get the Relion 3/10ml, 31 gauge insulin syringes for $12.58/100 at WalMart
    Relion syringes.jpg

If they try to tell you they don't have half unit markings, don't listen.....they do!

Next great invention instead of worrying about sharps containers is to buy a needle clipper. Holds over 1500 needles and then you just throw the syringe in the trash.

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  8. CandyH & Catcat

have been advised, too, that one batch of those syringes will be tighter than anything, while the next batch will be just fine; says made in USA so I can't blame the Chinese this time

9. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

@Chris & China (GA) Stop it...you mean to tell me I can just buy this and be good for a year?! How COOL thank you!

Does Walmart require a prescription to buy syringes?

10. CandyH & Catcat

generally syringes aren't prescription, but it depends on which state you live in, some do have restrictions on how many you can buy without Rx

something you might check out --

looked at Google -- these states require Rx if you want to buy more than 10 at a time " CT, ME, NH, NJ, NY;
    IL requires Rx if you want to buy more than 20
    DE and TN require Rx for any, as do two counties in FL

Panic likes this.
  11. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

You may not need a sharps container. It depends upon where you live. Some vets will accept (usually in a plastic container) at no charge to their clients used syringes. Some vets will charge a small fee. Some localities like mine just say place the sharps in a unbreakable, leakproof container like plastic laundry detergent bottle and tape the top shut and mark with sharps. Some just clip the needles off the syringes using
    https://www.amazon.com/Safe-Clip-Insulin-Syringe-Needle-Clipper/dp/B002ZUE5KE
    and just placed the clipped syringes in the regular trash. Some drug stores and firehouses also accept used syringes in the proper container.
    I would check you localities trash rules.

12. Jack the Cat

Jack the Cat Member

I purchase both the insulin (Lantis) and syringes (BD brand) from Costco. The syringes are about $25.00 for a box of 100.

13. Amina&M'row

Amina&M'row Member

14. Amina&M'row

Amina&M'row Member

Sharps containers: I put then in a thick opaque plastic container, like liquid detergent or pre-ground coffee containers. When full, I glue lid onto container, duct tape it shut, mark it "biohazard", put it in trash. Depends on your local regulations (I live in Minnesota). Or you can buy online a little gadget that clips the needle off the syringe so there's no danger from the sharp at all.

15. Amina&M'row

Amina&M'row Member

Re getting the needle cover off Walmart syringes: yup, this is sometimes really annoying. Try rotating the cover to loosen it up before pulling it straight off; this often helps.

16. Beck

Beck Member

Last time I needed syringes, I bought them in bulk through ADW. I waited til there was a promotion(there's something going half the time). Spent $96 on a 1000 needles, which is enough for free shipping. Bought the CarePoint brand, which I'm sure isn't the greatest, but can't imagine it's worse than Walmart ones. Just keep an eye on where the 0 notch starts and adjust accordingly. They're rarely more than a 1/10th off from where they should be lined up.

This is the needle type in case you're wondering: https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/16368/carepoint-vet-u100-syringe-31g-half-unit

Panic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.