Best place to get Lantus for the best price?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JenniferH, Apr 19, 2019.

1. JenniferH

JenniferH Member

Skittles will be using Lantus and he will need the vial not the pens. Where is the best place to get it for the best price?

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Where are you located?

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

A lot of us use Marks Marine in Canada. Here's the information on buying insulin from Canada

Why would you want a vial instead of the pens?

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

You DO want the pens, just not the pen needles. The pens are actually just mini-vials. There's 5 pens in a box, you'll be using one while the other 4 are safely stored in the fridge. If you drop them, no biggie, just pick them up and keep stepping. You will use regular U-100 syringes to draw the insulin just like a vial - when you remove the cap, you'll find the same little rubber seal.

EDIT TO ADD PICS:

This is a Levemir pen but it's the same as the Lantus, just different colors. I took one apart to see all of it, yep, I'm that way... :) The glass 'cartridge' is slid out a bit - this is a full cartridge.

LevPen2.jpg

The white round part is the seal - it's usually gray or red. This is an empty cartridge.

LevPen4.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    JenniferH likes this.
  5. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

@Chris & China (GA)

Marks does not sell Levemir Pens individually :( Does anyone buy Levemir from Alan at the Supply cabinet?

6. JenniferH

JenniferH Member

Pleasant Lake, Michigan

7. JenniferH

JenniferH Member

How many mls are in each pen?

8. JenniferH

JenniferH Member

What is the difference from having the pen vs. the vial. I just assumed the vial because that is what the vet donated to me to use for this first go around.

9. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

JenniferH likes this.
  10. JenniferH

JenniferH Member

And do you just have your vet send the script to them?

11. Chris & China (GA)

A vial holds 1000 units....Most cats can't use that much insulin before it starts to lose efficacy and you end up throwing a bunch away.

The pens each hold 300 units and are good until the expiration date on the box of 5 (which is usually at least 2 years away)

You can have your vet fax it to them or you can take a picture of it and send it to them via email or on their order form. They are wonderful to work with and will help any way they can. You can also call them and ask any questions you may have.

12. JenniferH

JenniferH Member

I didn't know that about the vial. Thanks for sharing that. I will talk to my vet about ordering the pens when this vial is almost gone. How long does it take them to ship it usually?

13. Chris & China (GA)

About a week....sometimes less. They will also send you the tracking number so you can watch it move through the postal system

ETA...Also, if your vet writes the script for the vial, you can still get the pens instead. Just call them and tell them you prefer the pens! Since insulin is OTC in Canada, the pharmacist can give you whatever you prefer

JenniferH likes this.
  14. JenniferH

JenniferH Member

Thank you!

15. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Several people have - he's straight up.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.