Best scales for weighing a cat?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harper'sHuman, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harper'sHuman

Harper'sHuman Member

Does anyone weight their sugar kitty at home, and if so what brand/model of scale do you use? My kitty is underweight and I need to record his weight as part of his homecare. I've looked on-line but all the baby scales I've seen are either very expensive or got low ratings from previous users. Thanks!

2. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

I use a digital postal scale that I bought on Ebay for about $45. I put a box on top of it to put the kitty in. It has the "tare" function so it doesn't weigh the box itself, just what's in it. I put the box on the scale, the kitty in the box with a couple of treats and wait for the weight to display. Its very accurate and the plus is that I can weigh packages at home and get my postage online. I hope this helps.

3. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I either use my regular bathroom scale or my Wii Fit . Both work by weighing yourself first, and then stepping on with your cat and subtracting the difference between the two numbers.

4. max&emmasmommie

max&emmasmommie Well-Known Member

I second the bathroom scale suggestion. I weight myself and then hold the cat and weigh again. It's supposed to be more accurate this way. Who knows? However, even if its wrong about the exact weight, it should tell you the correct difference between the weights each time you weigh.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Check for 2nd hand baby scales on Craigslist (in the US), or 2nd hand baby supply stores.
    Get a digital scale, with wide enough area for your cat to rest easily. I did that for my local shelter and it was a big help when they were cranking out spay and neuter surgeries and needed to weigh the smaller animals.

6. Katlyn

Katlyn Member

I just received my Salter baby/toddler scale from Amazon and I love it. It does Kg's and lb's. The vet scale is usually in kg. I believe it is model 914. I put a baby blanket in the "basket" and a little catnip and my sugarbaby sat in it. It was about $57.00 with free shipping. I tried to put my other cat in it and he freaked. So, do a blankie and a toy first.

7. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I also use the Salter 914 which I bought from Amazon, and I love it. Both my cats do well on it.

8. Andrew22

Andrew22 New Member

I am using a food scale that i bought at ebay few months ago. It a little expensive one but it have NTEP certification and many other features that i want with accuracy. And there are also many cheap Counting Scales there on Ebay.

9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I also use the Salter digital scale. It works really well and you can weigh in kilos or pounds.

10. zzyzzx

zzyzzx Member

I also use the bathroom scale method.

11. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

I use bathroom scale but only weigh 1 a month - any more than that and differences are likely water and food and um... poop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.