Best U-40 syringes? Do you use a caliper?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by FurBabiesMama, Jan 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I am about to order more syringes and wanted to ask if any of you have found a particular brand that you think is better than others. At diagnosis, the vet sent us home with VetOne syringes (no 1/2 unit markings). Since, I have been using Ulticare U-40 Pet Syringes 29G, 3/10cc, 1/2" - Half Unit Mark. I was searching on this topic and found an old thread where it was mentioned that the markings can be pretty inconsistent on many brands of syringes (WHAT?!). That's nice to know and slightly scary. Someone mentioned using a caliper to make sure the dosing is consistent. Do any of you do that? It sounded like Monoject syringes were preferred over Ulticare and SureComfort, but I am not finding those as readily available with 1/2 units.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

4. FurBabiesMama

Which syringes do you like and what are your thoughts on using a caliper ? I know you have about 50 diabetic cats. :) So, you would be a good one to hear from on the topics.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

I just bought relion half unit syringes and they are horrible! The marks are not even! They are crooked. Going back to my one unit syringes. I think that is was threw my cats bg off.

6. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

I have never used calipers myself, so I can't chime in there, but I wanted to share my favorite brand of U-40 syringes. I use the CarePoint Vet syringes with 1/2 unit marks (https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/16363/carepoint-vet-u-40-syringe-29g-half-unit). They're regularly inexpensive and I have never had a single problem with them. The only marking inconsistency I have had was the 0 mark is sometimes slightly lower than the plunger. I just always check where it's at before inserting into the insulin vial and adjust accordingly. Easy peasy.

I had ordered Monoject U-100 syringes for lower doses (https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product...00-syringes-half-unit-31g-5-16in-3-10cc-100ct), but I thought they were absolutely awful. The plunger in almost every single syringe I used stuck, so it was almost impossible to draw up the right dose. I'd never buy that brand again. The funny thing is, we have Monoject syringes in my lab (no needle attached) that I think are great, so that's why I had bought them originally. I have thought about switching to U-100 syringes for my normal doses because they offer smaller gauges, but with the conversion, I'd be giving him "7 units", which just seems crazy high.

Hopefully you find a syringe that works for you! :bighug:

7. FurBabiesMama

Good to know. Thanks.

8. FurBabiesMama

Thank you. I will check out the CarePoint.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.