Best way to make Glucose testing less painful/stressful

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mitzi Mom, Jan 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitzi Mom

Mitzi Mom New Member

I have a Glucometer. Watched many videos that make it look so easy. I use the tip of her ear, (didn't realize how thick the skin is, when it appears as thin). I had a bad day today trying to get her Sugar Levels fasting (before dinner) I don't know who was more upset, me or Mitzi.
    I gave up after 3 attempts and feeling like a bad bad Mom. And a few tears from me, yes, I don't like hurting her. I did feed her an hour earlier than scheduled and gave her her shot (3ml). Her Sugar Level had already dropped from 477 to 247 @ Vet last night to 293 several hours after her initial breakfast/shot. How can I make this where she is rewarded for putting up with my monitoring. Thanks for your help!!!

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I am sorry you and Mitzi are having a hard time. Here are a couple ideas

1. A big enough lancet. Often the 30/31 gauge that humans use are too skinny. You might try a 25-27 gauge.
    2. Are you sure warming the ear? It helps so much if it is very warm. It helps the blood plump up those capillaries.
    3. Do you have something behind her ear to poke against? We used a small make up sponge. Some people use a folded kleenix.

Hope that helps.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. LaraB

LaraB Member

I have some freeze dried chicken treats at the ready for when I'm testing Joshi. She loves these - and associates the ear pokes with something positive. I also go overboard with affection before and after - which she of course LOVES. Though I still have problems with her flicking her ears at the last minute or getting a little restless (she wants those treats after all ;) ), she's almost always purring through the whole thing. I never would have believed that she would do THAT when I started out - and I've been testing her BG at home for only a little over two weeks.

It takes time and patience - it took me three separate attempts (and by attempts, we're talking about a series unsuccessful ear pokes in a session) before I even had a successful blood sample. Believe me, I did a happy dance over that!

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Janet Qatar

Janet Qatar Member

One thing that really worked for me with Snafu was to warm the ear as others as mentioned then I would rest his ear on a small torch which helped to give a hard surface and also showed where the red line was for me to prick in the correct place with the lancet, Im not saying it was easy in the beigning as I also had many tears and pricked my self often at the start but after some time when I calmed down this is what worked for me .Also I then used treat Pure bites freeze dried chicken which he loved .. The torch is a tiny one hope this helps good luck

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Shenandoah

Shenandoah Member

Hi Mitzi's Mom,

One of the big keys for cats that are stressed by testing is to establish a routine and follow it exactly every time. Get your supplies in the same order, do everything in the same location each time, put your stuff in the same spots where you can easily reach them. You might add a verbal cue as well. I say "let's go do your test."
    It's hard at first, but soon they get to know what's going on and it's not as scary to them.

Also, as hard as it is at first (believe me, I know, I was in tears several times when I started), try not to get upset. If you're upset, Mitzi will get upset. If you can remain calm, it might take a few times but Mitzi will eventually learn that it isn't a big deal. And even if you're unsuccessful at getting blood, tell her what a good girl she is for letting you try.
    Don't let each session turn into a battle. If it's not working, try to make some progress - stay in place for a little longer, if you use a lancet pen then make the noise a few times without actually touching her, if she doesn't like her ears rubbed then stop when she lets you give a few rubs, if she's afraid of the meter beep then just insert and remove the strip a few times so she gets used to that. Wherever you are struggling, find a small step you can take, then reward her for that, and take a break to clear your head, then try again later.

It gets easier. For myself, as someone who started out getting bitten, scratched, and hissed at when testing, I can definitely tell you things get better once you both get used to it! Now my kitty just grumbles a little, but even she will come to her testing spot on her own sometimes, or else when I call the rest of the time. She even purrs through her ear rubs to warm them up.
    So just keep trying, be patient, and it will come.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I love Mitzi's name :) and she is so cute :cat:
    Testing was hard for me at first too, and I fought it for a while because it was so frustrating.
    J.D. in my avatar had black ears but I always tested on the insides of his ears as there was less hair and it was white hair and easier to see the blood droplet. I also test about halfway down the ear, and used 28 gauge lancets. Those are the only lancets that ever worked for us. Sometimes it took more than one poke, sometimes it took a lot more than one poke. J.D. got a treat or some generous lovings every time, and he would come to me and jump up on the couch (our testing spot) as soon as he heard me getting everything ready.
    You can do this.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

A couple more suggestions...
    1) Grab a thin, dress like sock and throw a handful of rice in it. Warm it up for 20 seconds in the microwave. Test it to ensure that it is not too hot. Then wrap it around the ear to get it warm.
    2) Take your kitty to the testing place a few extra times even though you are not testing. Just go through the motions i.e. massages, talking to her, touching her ear and then giving her treats. It is kind of like a practice run.
    3) If you can't get blood with 2-3 tries, then just give a treat or massage and walk away for about five minutes. Then come back to again with a fresh approach.
    4) If you poke and don't get blood, try poking in same place. Sometimes, a double poke will draw blood.

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Mitzi and Mom.

I shed more than one tear when I was learning, too. I didn't want my Saoirse to have to be on the receiving end of the pokes and prods. But even more I didn't want her to be really ill with her diabetes. It helped me to push through the early stages when I reminded myself that she was much better on insulin and poking her ears helped keep her safe.

It does get easier; more capillaries start growing in the test zone as soon as you start testing, making it much easier and quicker to get a blood sample as you go forward.

Even if you don't feel confident, pretend! I found that Saoirse became more at ease when I faked being OK with things. Another thing: always give a low carb treat after every test attempt, even when you don't get a blood droplet. It will comfort and reassure both of you! :bighug:

Mogs

9. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

I started out testing and giving shots with Fern in his kitty straight jacket. (His cat bag he's modeling in his photo) I'm glad I did we graduated from the jacket a few weeks ago for BG and 2 days ago for shots. It helped me get confident with the process while not allowing him to escape when I messed up. Now he purrs when getting his ear tested, well he purrs when I'm rubbing his ear with a rice sock. I also started with a 26G lancet (listed as an alternative site one) and only began using the smaller 30G after one 100 count box. He gets a treat at non feeding time tests so that doesn't hurt. I now can't use the microwave without a cat bugging me though.

I think he mostly doesn't notice the shot but I still have his straight jacket near me in case he indicates he's going to be a PITA and I will put him in it.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.