Best wet food for a diabetic senior (Ontario, Canada)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Durielle, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Durielle

Durielle Member

Any advise on best wet food available in Ontario stores for a diabetic senior cat? I looked through the list compiled by Lisa A. Pierson, and chose canned Wellness Core thinking that good ingredients and low carbs would be ideal, but apparently that's not a good food for diabetics. I've been told by some people to try Fancy Feast pate, but pet stores tell me that's cheap food with low-grade ingredients so I didn't try it. I want to treat the kitty's diabetes, but she's old (10-12) and I don't want to risk unleashing renal issues with too-high protein or low quality food. I'm not able to provide raw diet, so I would ask specifically about canned diets that are good for diabetes (and don't increase risk of kidney issues). Thanks

2. SugarFreeLucy

SugarFreeLucy Member

Hi,

I feed Lucy the Fancy Feast pates as well as certain Great Choice (Petsmart house brand) flavours. Those two brands have the highest levels of proteins and least amount of carbs that fit in my budget. I feed both Lucy and her civvie sister the same thing and it could get expensive if I went with the `premium name `foods. Both my girls are 9 years old.

Lucy`s diabetes have been diet controlled since May and I just got bloodwork results today and she got a paws up from the vet!

Hope that helps :)

3. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

FF pates seem to be pretty widely used for diabetics. And 10 - 12 isn't old around here! My diabetic boy is 15 and has been diabetic for nearly 3 years, along with a multitude of other health challenges. The greater threat to her kidneys is unchecked diabetes. The food is probably secondary at this point. Are you giving insulin? Which one? Are you home testing to be sure its safe to give insulin? I know its a lot of questions, but it all adds to the picture and helps us to give suggestions for your kitty.

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I fed my diabetics Friskies for the most part, the pate flavors, and sometimes Fancy Feast pates.

5. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

10-12 isn't quite senior yet! :lol: And Fancy Feast definitely isn't "premium" quality but it certainly isn't bad, either - lots of the pates have real muscle meat as the first ingredients and are low in carbs.

Here's a list I made of some of my faves:

1. Cheap economical foods, perhaps not the best quality (byproducts etc)... large 13oz cans are cheapest, usually around $1 per can:

Friskies pates and special diet (they all have rice so they are slightly higher in carbs but still OK)
    Special Kitty pates (Walmart's food - read the ingredients, some flavors like turkey and giblets have corn/rice - this is a Canadian thing)
    Whiskas (large purple cans - my cats wouldn't eat this, it had a weird texture)
    President's Choice Finicky Cat (Sold at Superstore, etc.)
    Western Family (ground style? sold at Overwaitea, etc.)
    Grreat Choice (Petsmart's brand)

2. Mid priced, slightly higher quality foods - these are usually 3oz cans and range from .40 to .60 each

Fancy Feast (pates - Canada's equivalent to "classics")
    Special Kitty Select (Walmart's FF equivalent)
    President's Choice Finicky Cat Gourmet (FF equivalent)
    Western Family Gourmet (FF Equivalent)
    Whiskas recloseable trays

3. High quality, slightly more expensive foods - come in all sizes

Wellness Grain Free varieties (independent stores and also Petsmart)
    Merrick's Before Grain line and Cowboy Cookout, Surf n Turf, and Southern Delight (mostly sold at independent stores)
    EVO 95% (these are pretty fatty, might cause stomach upset)

6. Durielle

Durielle Member

Thank you SugarFreeLucy, Just-As-Appy, Blue, and Ry & Scooter:

I am giving insulin (Lantus) since her diagnosis a month ago, and will be home testing soon. Based on your replies, I will be switching my diabetic foster to Fancy Feast or any of the equivalent brands from PetSmart, Walmart, or PC. Thanks very much.

7. Tara & Buster

Tara & Buster Well-Known Member

When you're looking at food lists, you need to chose varieties that are less than 8% carbs/calorie, which is what people are recommending. Most folks do 4-5%. Do be careful when you switch foods! The lower carbs can drop the sugar levels a fair amount and you want to be careful not to get too low. You need to be hometesting so you can make sure kitty is safe and monitor the change. Good for you for taking on a diabetic foster! :thumbup Good luck with testing! Keep us posted!

8. Knotty dee and Jaxon

Knotty dee and Jaxon Member

I am also in ontario and i feed all 3 of my cats friskies and fancy feast (only one is diabetic) and since making the switch to an all canned diet and lantus treatments since the end of August 2012, my Jaxon (10yrs old) is working on day 10 days insulin free!!! paws crossed! I purchase my food from costco best pricing i have found so far!

Good luck!

9. Durielle

Durielle Member

Hi Knotty dee and Jaxon, what flavours of Friskies do you use? I'd like to go with that brand because they sell the large cans.. and then I could also feed it to my regular kitties too (they get jealous that only Duriel gets wet food).

Tara & Buster: Thanks for the info on carb content (most 4-5%) I just started home testing tonight, and got a result of 232, 1.5 hours after dinner along with 1.5 units of Lantus insulin. I will keep testing, and once I get the food choice right might begin to customize dosages (so that I don't overdose while switching foods).

10. Knotty dee and Jaxon

Knotty dee and Jaxon Member

I buy the 24 packs at walmart and 48 packs at costco for the friskies. I believe they are the whitefish and tuna, chicken, mariners catch and shredded turkey and cheese. I also buy the large cans of chef's dinner (its chicken). I know that the shredded turkey and cheese is higher then the others for the carb content so i tend to use that one only as a lower bgl bump up. Some cats dont like the shredded but Jaxon loves it! I hope that helps.

11. Durielle

Durielle Member

Thanks, I'll look in Walmart and see what's available.

12. Dutchess

Dutchess New Member

Hello, I am a fellow Ontarian with a newly diagnosed foster cat whose 12,a nd I'm struggling with the cost of the food too.

I was told that the Canadian Tire brand IS Fancy Feast, just private labeled for Canadian Tire ! This store frequently has them on sale.

Also...Freshco and Sobeys has "Our Compliments" and if you buy the turkey, beef and chicken varieties (no gravy) these are low carb too, and readily available!

13. Durielle

Durielle Member

I was told the same about CT brand, but only for the small 85g gold lid cans. I am buying the 12 packs for $5.50. A good deal for foods that are approx 45% protein, 50% fat, and 5% carbs (or less).

14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

In addition to feeding my kitties raw, their canned food is Wellness, which is higher grade ingredients. The chicken, turkey, and beef and chicken are all low carb options. If you are worried about renal issues, look for something low in phosphorus. Check out the Catinfo website for a great description on feline nutrition. On the right hand side of the main page, there are charts showing commercial foods and their carb and phosphorus amounts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.