Bet you can't guess why I'm here...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bumpsy & Shady, Feb 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bumpsy & Shady

Bumpsy & Shady Member

Hello All!

I'm Christine, and the mother of Bumpsy (M) and Shady (F) who are brother-sister (litter-mates). 11.5 y/o.

Well I just got the information about Bumps four days ago. I'm crushed! I've been reading a lot of information here, and although very informative, it's quite overwhelming.

So really, I'm literally at step one! I figure diet is first. I had been feeding them Wellness Healthy Weight (dry food) for pretty much their whole lives. Well, that has changed. I bought a variety pack of Friskies Tasty Treasures the next day, and switched them both over completely and immediately. So far that is going ok, but I'm worried if I am feeding too much or not enough (1.5 cans a day between the two of them). I bought this brand because everything I was reading said diet should be high protein, low fat and this seemed to fit, but now I've been seeing here, low carb as well. The cans don't say the carb level, so now I'm not sure if I've made a good choice. Please let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions regarding my choice. (I would like to say that in the short few days from making the switch, he seems to be doing better, and a little back to his normal self personality-wise. I also believe I caught this issue relatively quickly, if that matters).

Next steps: I have to try to collect a urine sample to bring to the vet, fill the prescriptions, and begin insulin ASAP. That should happen in the next few days. They prescribed Lantus, and said to start him off at 1 (unit? cc? not sure of the terminology yet, but they showed me on the syringe.) They talked about regulating and monitoring, but haven't had a lot of conversations about that yet. I've read here about what some of that entails, (that seems to be the overwhelming part), but we haven't even crossed that bridge yet. Any first steps, or recommended supplies I should have, (go slow please) could help. I'm also scared to death of the low BG (again, unsure of terminology?) thing, and would like any suggestions regarding that, should the situation arise. The vet talked about rubbing syrup on his gums, but I just want to make sure to be fully prepared in the event.

Me: I am single, live alone and work an erratic schedule 45 - 50 hours a week (read: cat lady, lol). I don't drive, but do have a decent public transportation where I live (NE USA). Also, I am NOT rich, so any ideas regarding cost savings (down the road, once things are hopefully stabilized), or support systems would be welcome advise as well.

Thanks for listening/reading!

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome. It is indeed overwhelming. Ask any questions and voice any concerns you have. If you post in the Health or the Lantus forum, you'll get more eyes on you.

The Fancy Feast should be the pates.

A lot of people order Lantus from here: Here's the information on buying from Marks Marine Pharmacy in Canada
    You need a prescription from the vet. Lantus is so much cheaper ordering from Canada. (You want to order the pens, not the big vial). Also, check out the Supply Closet on this forum. Alan is a trusted source.

If cost is a factor, you can use a human metre from Walmart. The Relion Confirm and Relion Micro are fairly cheap.

3. Bumpsy & Shady

Bumpsy & Shady Member

Thank you for the info! Cross posts to both forums have been created.

I will definitely review the links/info you have supplied.

Wish me luck!

4. Sam and Billy

Sam and Billy New Member

Welcome! You'll get the hang of it. I've been at this about four months and it is a lot at first, but you just clear one hurdle at a time and it gets easier.

First thing first, I would get the insulin right away. It may seem impossible to give it to him in a needle, but if you do it quick and gentle when you feed him, he won't even notice. Strange but true. I'm sure the vet showed you where. I called them cc's at first too! Everyone says unit here and at my vet though. My order of tackling things was a) learning how to give him insulin (which you'll have down after one or two times), b) giving him the right food, c) learning how to test him. I give him prescription canned food the vet recommended, which is expensive but I wanted to be on the safe side. Eventually I'll look at something else.

I use a human meter. It's not the glucometer itself that costs money. It's the test strips that go with it. The main thing is getting the right lancet. The vet can probably give you some. You probably don't want the tiny, crappy ones that come with the meter. But yeah, I just had the vet test him the first couple of times. It cost me money (about $35 each time) but I was too nervous about doing it myself. Now I just have treats available and put the cat in my lap and he's totally chill about it.

I live alone and work a lot too. The downside of being solo is having to manage all this yourself. But it's totally doable.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

the Friskies Tasty Treasures are gravy foods.... what you want are the pate foods. anything with gravy is HIGH in carbs. Fancy Feast classic or Friskies Pate are perfect.

You can order Lantus cheaper from Marks Marine Pharmacy in Canada... but you may just pick up the first one from the vet to get it quick. 1 Unit is a perfect starting dose.

When you are ready and get a home bg meter we will be happy to walk you through home testing! It's so so so important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.