Bev and Tiggy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bev and Tiggy, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bev and Tiggy

Bev and Tiggy New Member

My 12 year old Kitty, Tiggy, was just diagnosed with feline diabetes. I am learning all about checking his glucose and giving insulin. I am lucky to have a daughter, Sarah, who knows alot about it. Her kitty Rowdy/Velcro is in remission. The vet said not to expect that most kitties don't get off it but I am going to do my best.

chriscleo likes this.
  2. Sarah and Velcro

Sarah and Velcro Member

YAY!! You and Tiggy will do great <3 :D

Bev and Tiggy likes this.
  3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info,
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!)

4. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome, Bev and Tiggy, to the FDMB. You will have lots of support here. Don't be shy about asking questions. Everyone here has been in your shoes.

Ella & Rusty

5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Sending a welcome to you both, Bev and Tiggy.

Everyone in FDMB is very helpful. We've all been in your shoes and understand the stress of the diagnosis. But diabetes can be successfully treated and Tiggy can have a long, healthy life.

TigzMom and Bev and Tiggy like this.
  6. Bev and Tiggy

Bev and Tiggy New Member

Thanks everyone! So far Tiggy started out at 558 at the vet's office. I think alot of it was probably stress I know I was stressed! Yesterday he was 397. And today 430 still really high but it's only day 2 of lantus. He's starting to eat canned food. So I think I'm doing fairly well I know it will take time and I have alot to learn. How often do you think I should check his glucose?

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Testing:
    1) Always test before giving insulin to make sure it is safe.
    For now, your no shot level is 200 mg/dL on a human glucometer (230 for pet-specific meter); this will lower as you collect data around the middle of the cycle to know how low he is going.

2) Mid-cycle tests between shots - whenever possible, test around the nadir (lowest glucose level between shots) for your insulin, to see how low he's going. For Lantus, this often falls between +5 to +7 hours after the shot. Some folks do this on weekends or set a clock for the middle of the night to get this test done as it helps determine dose adjustments. This number should be at or above 50 mg/dL on a human glucometer (68 mg/dL for pet-specific).

3) A before bed test is helpful in determining if you need to break out some higher carb food and steer the glucose level or go to bed with some peace of mind. Steering means giving 1-2 teaspoons of high carb gravy, waiting 30 minutes, and re-testing (repeating as needed) to make sure the glucose stays above 50 mg/dL.

8. Bev and Tiggy

Bev and Tiggy New Member

Thank you BJM for your advice. I will start more testing today! :)

9. Bev and Tiggy

Bev and Tiggy New Member

Tiggy seems to be feeling better. Not drinking as much or spending as much time in the litter box. I'm having a little trouble checking his BG levels. The first few days I didn't seem to have any trouble getting blood sample from his ear. The last few days I've tried 3 or 4 times and sometimes still no blood drop to check :( Not sure what changed. I've watched a few of the videos one had taking a sample from the bottom of his paw I don't think that's it's a good idea with him scratching in a litter box. Any advice would be appreciated.

10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Make sure the ear is warm - a washcloth warmed in some hot water, place in a plastic bag, that isn't too hot on your inner forearm, may be placed against the ear for a bit to get it good and warm, which dilates the capillaries.

11. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

I've been testing Goof on the paw (a different one each time) since he was diagnosed December 4, 2014, it's really easy, doesn't hurt him at all and we've never had a problem.

12. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

13. TigzMom

TigzMom Member

Hi there
    Welcome aboard!
    I also have a sugar cat named Tiggy..(I also call him Tigz as well). He is 15 yrs old and started out at 18.1 lbs. With his diet change, and his initial insulin, I can tell he's lost a few pounds. He was able to get off insulin and only be controlled with his diet, but as they say here on the FDMB, every cat is different.

When Tigz was diagnosed in April, I initially had difficulty doing his BG testing as he was super wiggly. Although some people test on the paws as well as the ears, I've only tested on the ears as I was worried about him using his litter box. Others who use the paw say this hasn't been an issue. Find what works for you.
    I also used the suggestion from others in utilizing a "special place" to do the blood glucose testing as well. Some people do it on a counter, but I use a special wicker stool. Once Tigz realized that if he sat still on his wicker stool while mommy "poked" his ear for his BG testing, and that he got a low-carb treat afterwards, he actually looks forward to this activity. He'll even jump up on the wicker stool expecting a treat even when it is not time for his blood glucose testing!!
    I think the diet change makes a huge difference along with the insulin. All the suggestions, info and advice from the experts here (I.e. BJM, Margie and Gracie, Ella, Rusty and Stu, Mogmom and Goofus, et al.), are fantastic!
    Everyone is here for you and definitely knows what you're going through.
    You can do it!
    Best Wishes!

14. Bev and Tiggy

Bev and Tiggy New Member

Thanks for the tips. My Tiggy weights 16 lbs. He looks alot like your Tiggy <3 He's getting use to the routine. Maybe someday we will be off the insulin too.

15. Bev and Tiggy

Bev and Tiggy New Member

I need some advice on feeding. I've been giving tiggy a 1/2 can in the morning and the other 1/2 in the evening. 12 hours apart. He seems hungry inbetween. I'm not sure if I should feed more or not the vet said twice a day. I don't want him hungry he went from having a dish of dry food out all the time before his diabetes to now. Please help???

16. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

If he is maintaining his weight you can still feed the total 1 can a day but divide it up into three or more feedings. Some caretakers here freeze the in-between feeding portions and place them in a timed feeder like the PetSafe.

17. Bev and Tiggy

Bev and Tiggy New Member

Thank you Larry and Kitties for your advice. We are very new to this will be 2 weeks thursday since we were diagnosed. He's been doing really well I'm scared to change anything. He's not drinking and urinating all the time like before and seems happier. :)

18. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Feeding mini-meals keeps the cat from getting too hungry and spreads out the workload for any remaining pancreas function.
    Adding some water to it helps the cat feel full and maintain hydration.

19. Bev and Tiggy

Bev and Tiggy New Member

Thanks BJM I think maybe I will try that tomorrow. Maybe every 6 hours 1/4 of a can with a little water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.