Beyond Stressed...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by zoesaat, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoesaat

zoesaat New Member

Hi! My cat, Bert was diagnosed with diabetes about 2 years ago. He went into remission for a while but it came back early this Summer. The vet increased his dose to 2 cc twice a day. However, it doesn't seem to be working. He has started pulling down my shoes and peeing on them and on my hardwood floor (I live in an apartment, this can't keep happening. I come home in tears constantly. I have another cat, Bella and a small dog, Buster. The care for Bert is getting too expensive for me and I am not home enough to monitor him. I will be starting school in January so I will be there even less.

I am at my wits end with this. I don't want to bring him anywhere where he may get put to sleep. I just want him to be healthy and have a good life. Does anyone have words of wisdom? Or similar situations? I don't know what to do.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It's very likely these behaviours are related to his diabetes being unregulated which causes excessive urination. Also he doesn't feel well and one way cats let us know that is by inappropriate elimination.
    1. What insulin are you using?
    2. You said you give 2 cc twice a day? Do you mean 2 units twice a day?
    3. Do you test his blood glucose at home?
    4. What food does he eat?
    5. How was his diabetes treated the first time around?
    If you could repost on the main health forum with answers to these questions more people will see your message. We can certainly help you with your kitty.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Sorry you are struggling. The best way to keep your cat safe and find the ideal dose is to test at home. We can help you learn how to do it if you are willing to learn. It's less expensive then very trips.

4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Bert, your caregiver hasn't posted in 48 hours. What's up lil' buddy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.