BG 248 7:15 am then 488, 2pm !!! Worried

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Paula Nowak, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paula Nowak

Paula Nowak Member

Hi this is Paula with Elvis . I'm new here. I can't understand why Elvis's blood sugar was getting lower than it ever was since he was diagnosed a diabetic last year the last day of October and he was way up in the 600's. This morning he was 248 and then at 2 on today he was 488. I had called the vet & they said put him on 2 units fron the original 3 units. Now since he went all the way up to 488 by 2 pm todsy , shouldn't I give him his usual 3 units with his evening shot ??

2. Paula Nowak

Paula Nowak Member

Is it common for a cat to have a much lower BG in the am and opposed to the pm .This is Paula with Elvis

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

The best way for us to help you is to have a spreadsheet of your BG test data to look at. I know - broken record ... There are so many reasons for erratic BG numbers from the dose to what he eats to other health issues. We'd be guessing if we tried to give you advice.

4. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Darnell & Sprocket (GA) Well-Known Member

We also need to know which insulin and which meter do you test on?

There are separate forums for each of the insulins too so you get people helping that know that insulin.

5. Paula Nowak

Paula Nowak Member

My cat Elvis is on Lantus Insulin. This morning his blood glucose was 211. I gave him 1 unit of Lantus 30 minutes after he ata which was 1/2 can of Fancy Feast classic Pate. I gave him another 1/2 can after his shot butbhe finished that half at around 11:30am. .I was at church and that is what my roommate told me. He then got his othereprescribed 1/2 can at 2:30pm. I took took his BG again at 6:15 pm Central time and it did go up but just to 270 ; do InI wondering hiw many units should I give him at 8pm tonight. I sureks will not give 3 units which the vet said to give hon but that was 2 weeks ago. I reported my one lower reading to the vet which was 248 last Saturday night. If had gobe up to 488 in the middle of the week and the vet said do 3 ubits again because when he went down to 248 the vet said give 2 units. Should I give 1 or 2 units tonight. I cakked the emergency vet snd they couldn't give me an exact reply

6. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Darnell & Sprocket (GA) Well-Known Member

1. You need to post this to the Lantus forum
    2. Do you have a spreadsheet?
    3. Have you tested more than just before his shot? Like mid-cycle at all?
    That is what the dose is based on...the lowest point in the cycle =nadir. Each 12 hrs is a cycle.
    With Lantus you need to stick to one dose for 3-7 days depending on the protocol you are following. If you dont know what I am talking about please read the stickies at the beginning of the lantus forum.

What dose did you give at 8pm your time tonight?

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Please set up the spreadsheet we use here. Choose the version corresponding to the meter you use - pet meter or human meter. Enter any and all blood glucose test numbers you have on it. It's the only way we can help you properly. If you need help setting it up there are people here who will do it for you - just ask.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

You can also go post on the Lantus forum. They'll need to look at some basic information in what we call your "signature". This is how to set it up:
    • click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    • click on "signature" in the men that drops down
    • type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using /glucose meter you're using/what he eats/any other meds or health issues he has.
    There's a lot of expertise on the Lantus forum. They'll want to see a spreadsheet too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.