BG 28!!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by joyous1980, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joyous1980

joyous1980 New Member

Hi I've been meaning to get everything registered on here as for my cat, Peanuts numbers but of course I'm too late. Im extremely concerned just tested him on home tester and he is at 28, now he was on lantus prior to switching him off science w/d. i switched to wet food low carb on 5/23, started seing numbers drop from his usual 400's about a week later. i was then testing him and giving him 3 u of lantus once a day if numbers permited. His last needed dose was on 6/2, after that his numbers seemed to nose dive (i'm not sure if food diet finally took affect fully)
    6/2 7am 432 3 units lantus
    6/2 8pm 73
    6/3 7am 75
    6/3 7pm 112
    6/4 10am 79
    6/4 730pm 97
    6/5 1230 pm 56
    6/6 12pm 39
    6/7 5pm 55
    6/8 830pm 28!!!
    i usually feed him at 7a and 7p the wet food, could him fasting for the 12 hours prior drop the numbers down to 28???? I talked to my vet today before regarding the 39 and he seemed baffled, he said he will do some research. I just gave Peanut a couple pieces of hard food and a ml of sugar water. the thing that really confuses me is his behavior has been better than before!!! he is more kitten like now, and he is 10 yrs old. even now he seems totally normal. so worried please help

2. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

28 is too low. Please give him some karo syrup, or honey right NOW. About 1mil to start - then retest bgl and post it.
    Do you have high carb food on hand? Kibble? Gravy food? Feed some NOW, please 0 about a tablespoon or so.

~M

3. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

When was his last shot of insulin?

It looks like you said June 2 you gave 3 units.... but have you shot anything since then?

4. joyous1980

joyous1980 New Member

im sorry if i was confusing in previous post, i did give him kibble and a ml of sugar water (no other syrup on hand)

no shots since june 2nd, thats why im baffled, is it from the low carb food

5. Mary & Stormy Blue

Okay, I re-read and you say his last insulin dose was 6 days ago? He has had zero insulin since that date?
    If that is the case, then this is not quite as serious - he may need to eat more often than BID, however.
    QID would probably be better to keep his sugar levels normalized - low carb foods, of course.

~M

6. joyous1980

joyous1980 New Member

ive been feeding him off the janet food list of 5% carb or less, should i increase to maybe 10%?
    i do usually end up feeding him in the middle of the night as well i forgot to mention, just during the day he has to go from 7am to 7pm as i work, any suggestions?

7. Mary & Stormy Blue

Maybe split the difference and feed 7-8% carbs QID.

~M

8. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

if peanuts hasn't had any insulin since 6/2, there is no danger of a hypo.
    you could retest in case the 28 was a bad test.

while unusual, we did have a kitty come through the lantus group who tested in the high 20s and 30s after going off insulin.
    take a look at tracy and pumpkin's ss:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=paYTMc3huIpx0jjh0Aol6Wg

scroll all the way down to when pumpkin stopped insulin. i'm glad your vet is looking into it since the numbers are lower than normal.
    btw, pumpkin's vet couldn't find any problems...

9. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Can you leave some canned food out for him while you are at work? Many people use a timed feeder. Before I bought an automatic feeder, I froze chunks of canned food and put that in a bowl with fresh food on top. My kitty would eat the room temperature food first and later as the frozen food thawed, he would come back and eat that. This way he had several small meals each day which helped his newly healed pancreas.

Without insulin your kitty's low BG number is probably from not eating since the morning. A kitty cannot hypo without exogenous insulin. But low blood sugar from not eating is possibly what you are seeing.

10. joyous1980

joyous1980 New Member

thanks for the suggestions everyone, i think i will just have to come home during break and feed Peanut. it was very scary having that reading, especially from reading all about hypo when he was diagnosed, i got very paranoid. if i leave frozen food out he will just eat it, he eats everything!! and i have two other cats so i have to split them to get their share. i have an auto feeder but i believe it is a dry feeder only. i guess i will have to look into getting a wet one now. i cant tell you all how relieved i was with his numbers after switching to soft low carb food, it just shows what diet can do. i wish u all luck with ur diabetic kitties and hope they all beat it too :)

11. Weather Girl

Weather Girl Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.