BG 357 and worried

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kristine, Jun 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristine

Kristine Member

Hi all..... My boy Christopher has been OTJ for about 5 months and has been steadly in the BG rabge of 125-175. For the past few days he has been acting sluggish and needy. I just tested him and his BG was 357. Do I assume he has gone out of remission and go back on low dose insulin ?? Im not sure what to do. I dont have any lantus on hand right now because the vial I had went out of date. I am hoping to get some tomorrow.

He was on 1 unit twice a day before he went into remission. I dont want to put him in Hypo. HELP

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Infection is a common cause of relapse, particularly dental and bladder infections.
    I would strongly suggest getting in to the vet to determine if that is the reason for the increase.
    And, regardless of infection, that glucose is too high. He may need to re-start insulin for a short period.

If you still have your old insulin, it may be weaker, yet still have some effectiveness, if it has been stored in the refrigerator. Take a look at it to see if there are any floaters or evidence of contamination. If it looks OK, you could consider a token dose of 0.25 to .05 units and then test his glucose to see if it is helping.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  3. Kristine

Kristine Member

BMJ.... I do have the old inlulin.... however it is almost a year old. It isnt cloudy and has no floaters. It has ALWAYS been kept in the refrigerator.
    I am picking up a new vial tomorrow but not until after noon.
    I am going to check his BG in about an hour to see if it has gone down at all. When he tested at 357 it was about an hour after he had eaten.

BJM likes this.
  4. Kristine

Kristine Member

I am going to check his BG in about an hour and see if it has gone down at all.

BJM likes this.
  5. blu

blu Member

If you don't find an underlying cause and you are back on insulin, just try to remember how much easier it will be now that you know what to do. I know it's little comfort, but Blu was in remission for 1.5 years then suddenly needed it again. He was on the second time for 3-4 months and we are back in remission, I hope that helps! A second remission is possible! (He was on lantus too). It will be okay!

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  6. Kristine

Kristine Member

Just checked his BG and it has gone down from 358 to 331. Will check again in about 2 hours. I am picking up some insulin tomorrow so there is nothing I can do tonight except worry. LOL. I dont think I want to give him the old insulin I have in the fridge as it is almost a year old.

blu likes this.
  7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When you have a moment, could you add a few tidbits to your signature? It will help us give you feedback.

Editing your Signature

In the upper right corner of the screen, within the dark blue bar, you will see ID, Inbox, and Alerts

Click on your ID.

On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature.
    This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback. You are limited to 2 hard returns, so separate pieces by | or -.
    This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
    Add any other text, such as your name | cat's name | date of Dx (diagnosis) | insulin | meter general location (city and state/province) any other pertinent issues like if there are any food issues, history of DKA, hepatic lipidosis, pancreatitis, allergies, IBD, etc.

Click the Save Changes button at the bottom.

8. blu

blu Member

You are monitoring and it's not at a super high dangerous level, so give yourself a pat on the back for keeping on top of it. I can't recommend what to do insulin wise - I'm not as savvy as some other folks here, I just try to bring some comfort! You are doing a great job and catching the rise nice and early!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.