BG At 64 - @+6.25 - Request Guidance Please

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by G & I, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G & I

G & I Member

Goma has just recorded a 64 bg and I am giving her some higher calorie food to get this up.
    From what I have been reading here I should take another reading in the next 10 minutes correct?
    She is very alert and eating well.

UPDATE - Reading @ +6.50 = 149.

Questions now are with the am injection several hours away how should I best proceed with that? How often should I now take readings since the level is up? From experience what are the chances it will drop again?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Whoa, Goma! That's enough little one!

I'm so sorry no one was around to respond to your question!!! It looks like you've handled it. Just a second and I'll write a longer repsonse...

Critter Mom and JanetNJ like this.
  3. G & I

G & I Member

Okay - Thanks - Did not want to post a 911 as she appeared okay in all aspects - She actually head-butted me to wake me up to take care of her. Never did that before.

Critter Mom, Vader723 and Djamila like this.
  4. Djamila

So in general we say that when a kitty goes below the cut-off line (68 on an AT2), you reduce the dose for the next cycle, so you'd go back to 2.25u. In general Goma is still in high numbers, so you may find that you'll need to go back and forth a bit -- a few days at 2.25, and then you might need to increase again. Sort of wiggling her numbers down lower. But for the next few cycles, you want to shoot that reduced dose and we'll just keep an eye on her and see what happens from there.

You shouldn't need to test anymore this cycle since she's rising, although of course do if you are concerned. She's past the typical nadir times, so the insulin should be wearing off. With that said, she did have a slightly lower +8 yesterday, so it's possible the number will bobble a little. I wouldn't expect her to go that low again though.

The 68 is a safety number. Most cats can go lower than that safely, we just don't want to them to, so that's the range when we start to feed them to keep them there or higher. And it's so good she woke you up!!! My kitty does that too. Anytime he drops too fast or drops too low he comes and gets me and then starts eating like crazy.

How are you doing? It sounds like you handled it all really well!

Critter Mom, FurBabiesMama and G & I like this.
  5. G & I

G & I Member

I sincerely appreciate that thorough explanation of what to do moving forward. She did, in fact eat like crazy and I had a can of the Hill's m/d still around that I had cut her off from due to the high carbs. She ate nearly 1/2 of that plus some mon petite (ff) and a 20 gram ground chicken. She would probably still be eating but I was afraid to over do it.

I am okay - Thanks to this forum I knew what to do so was not panicking.

So the process now is to reduce to 2.25 for about 6 cycles and monitor. Would testing at say 6 - 8 hours be during this time unless I notice a difference in her actions?

Once again - Thanks for being there...

Critter Mom and Vader723 like this.
  6. Djamila

Yes, it seems that she's hitting nadir a little later in the cycle, so 6-8 is probably good. Although with lower doses they often nadir earlier, and higher doses sometimes a little later, so you may need to move the tests around to just see what she's doing.

Also, it may not be six cycles - we'll have to see how she responds. It's likely that she's going to run high for a few cycles now since her body isn't used to being this low. Her liver has most likely dumped a bunch of glucose into the blood (the body has it's own safety mechanisms) and that will often make the numbers high and flat for a bit. If it looks like she's getting stuck up there, you'll need to increase again, but I would encourage you to post and get some opinions as it can be hard to say when you just need to wait for her to clear the bounce on her own, and when she needs a little boost of insulin to get her back on track.

You are now entering the dancing phase of diabetes - a little bit forward, a little bit backward....;)

Critter Mom, G & I and FurBabiesMama like this.
  7. G & I

G & I Member

Understand...will reduce today and check in with you all periodically for second/third/...opinions.

Djamila likes this.
  8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You did exactly what we would have said to do. Very good.

9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to see such good numbers for Goma! Djamila has given you great advice. You are definitely in the FD "dance" - back and forth, up and down. Post here as often as you need. :)

G & I likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.