BG at Vet +6~112

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tena and Curry(GA), Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

I took Curry in today to see the Vet....needed a ear poking consultation for a slow learner and also asked a ton of questions. Curry's BG was 112....that really surprised me. And the Vet was very pleased.

I did a BG last night w/a 27 gauge lancet because she was acting different. Not really hungry for the canned food. But she did eat the dry EVO. I was fearful of giving her the insulin, if she wasn't going to eat....but she eventually did. So her PMPS was 274 last night.

Doc thinks Curry was a bit constipated given all that I told him. She just was switched to canned this past week. We got some Laxatone to help coat the intestine a bit for a week or so.

Ear poking.....it looks like the more one traumatizes the ear, the more it gets inflammed, the easier it wil bleed. It sounds awful. But if the Vet is right...we may have caught this in time and can eventually transition OTJ. So I will start the ear poking thing again tonight. And probably do a curve this Sunday.

Cautiously optimistic.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You can do this! Really it doesn't seem to bother cats - they are looking to the treat they know is coming next. After you poke, hold on to the ear for a second or two. That reduces bruising. You can also use Neosporin (the + pain type is okay too) to help.

With the number the vet got, it really is imperative that you hometest. Your kitty may only need to be on insulin a short while; the wet lo carb diet seems to be working its magic. You have to be on top of the numbers so you don't give too much insulin.

Try it on yourself first. Read all the tips and advice. Try it and come back for more tips and advice. We'll help!

3. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

I would definitely spot check her at home today and strongly recommend never shooting her without testing her first. That's a great number at a vets and if there was any stress, the number may even have been lower without the stress. As for the ear........Mishka has been tested a minimum of b.i.d. every single day for almost 7 years. No vet would ever be able to tell which ear I test on and all I do is hold the ear after a poke to stop the bleeding.

4. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Tena, your Curry has the cutest face.....such a loving look in that picture of her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.