? BG curves and dose adjustments

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by JaiJai, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaiJai

JaiJai Member

Hello - I made a new post as my questions now go beyond our NS incident. First, we have Jai now onto full wet food and are dosing at 1.5U BID (down 0.5 from initial dose). She gets an ~3oz meal with her PZI (8AM/PM) and then ~1.5oz every 4 hours beyond that (12 & 4 am/pm). I have two smaller questions and then a main one on her current numbers/ dose. I plan to do a curve this weekend and wonder if I should keep doing down another 0.5U, stay the same or go back to 2U before doing a full curve Sunday.

A) Food - Could be a little high on calories, she'd indoor and not super active. We tried to choose based on carbs and also phosphorus (Kitty #2 prone to UTIs). Should I adjust more? I didn't accidentally get any high cards, did I? She's not picky and will eat anything (other cat is). These are the wet food we alternate between:
    - Two ~3oz of: Meow mix tender favorites (chicken/beef), Iams Purrfect Delights (Chicken), Fancy feast (chunky turkey), ProPlan UTI (Beef/Chicken or Salmon)
    - One 5.5oz (1/4th for 4 meals) of: Friskies (Flaked tuna), ProPlan UTI (Turkey/Gibblets), 9Lives (tuna/eggs),

B) Dose location? I am trying to be consistent alternating shoulders/scruff side but have also used the flank on occasion. Does it matter? Is it better to keep a consistent location (ie shoulders) or rotate around shoulders/flank?

C) Any advice if going down in dose is good/bad? First we're using a pet meter - so our numbers might be a bit higher do to that (looking at switching) - but Jai is still +400 (400-420) PAMPs/PPMPs but is going down to 150-180 range at nadir (I think thats a good pet meter range?). So I'm hesitant to go up because she is responding to a good nadir level - and she had that one NS - but I'm nervous about her preshot numbers still being high. Can this still be bouncing? When does one decide to re-escalate dose?

Thank you! We are still so fresh into this (2 weeks) and just want to get Jai into a good and healthy pattern.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Here's the link to an excellent food list: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dr-pierson-new-food-chart.174147/
    If your kitty has lost weight due to FD let her eat as much as she likes in several small meals a day.

It's good to vary the spot even within a small location. As to whether it makes a difference in BG, some people think it does and some don't. You'd have to try different spots on your own kitty to see.

It's still early days for you. I do think you need more data to know for sure. Right now her nadir is about 50% of the PS sometimes but there's a little room to come down. If you're home to test tomorrow you could try eyeballing 1.75 u in the AM.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    JaiJai likes this.
  3. JaiJai

JaiJai Member

All that worry and she's at 160 pre shot tonight! I'll test in 1hr and if she's rising do 1U. I'm around most of the weekend so I can keep an eye on her.

4. JaiJai

JaiJai Member

Thank you fro the link, I used that table to initially choose these, so hopefully they are good. She did lose some weight - but down to a healthy weight (13.5 to 10.9 lbs), we are only aliquoting meals because she'll eat EVERYTHING you put in front of here right now (and the barf from cat #2 - which she just did). She throw a curve ball tonight and pre tested at 160, which rose to 229 within an hour - so I decided to try 1U and will test her a few more times tonight (she also gets meals at midnight and 4am). Thanks again for the response, its nice to have a place to get feedback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.