? BG down after eating

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jess and Marky Mark, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jess and Marky Mark

Jess and Marky Mark Member

Hello,

Mark's bg was 88 when we got home this evening. He ate half of a 5.5oz can of Instinct Rabbit 6% carbs per Dr. Lisa's food chart. Hubby forgot to give him his shot so I took his bg 1.5 hrs later when we realized it and it was down to 84. Mark is still hungry. What should we do now? Should we feed a higher carb food, still shoot but a lower dose? His spreadsheet is current.

Thanks in advance!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Unless you're able to move your shot times by 2 hours, I'd just skip tonight and start over in the morning at your regular shot time

3. Jess and Marky Mark

4. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Hi Jess,
    Fabby's glucose tests usually go down after she eats a meal. If I let her free feed, she does a pretty good job or self-regulating.
    On a side note, we are in awe of your numbers under 100. We've been rather high lately, so we're extra jealous over here! Good job though on catching the food lowering the BG.

5. Jess and Marky Mark

We are still figuring out a good testing schedule so I haven't been testing after eating. That was a surprise, for sure.

His AMPS is 95 today. He seems to stay in other cats' 'no shoot' zone which makes me constantly question if we should shoot. We work full time so I worry about him going hypo while we aren't home during the day.

Since our other kitty, Sylvia, has IBD, they are both on special food so she doesn't eat something that will cause a reaction. We just got a couple timed feeders but Miss Sylvia will probably eat all of her food and Mark's. I haven't figured out how to make that work yet. :)

AlphaCat likes this.
  6. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

So, I only found out after I had a couple of curves under my belt. So, you're doing just fine.

Another member told me about a hack that I haven't done yet, but it's on my list. Perhaps it will work for you too...

You take a storage tub and a locked pet door that unlocks with the magnet you put on kitty's collar. Install the door in the tub and put the key collar on Sylvia. (Make sure she's comfortable using it.) then you can put her food in there and Mark can't get in to eat her food, and will only have access to his.

They do make feeders now that use collar keys that you can put a different key on each cat and it will only dispense their food but they are way too expensive right now... but the technology is looking so promising! Until then I'm just going to have to make my hacked tub. ;)

FranklinsMom likes this.
  7. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I think it's reversed, Alpha. Sylvia is cleaning house :). Still a good suggestion but maybe put the collar on Mark :cat:

AlphaCat likes this.
  8. Jess and Marky Mark

You are correct, Yong. Sylvia only weighs 7.8lbs but she eats like a vacuum cleaner! :) She can't have chicken, beef, eggs, dairy, or soy so that really limits our options for food. We've tried separating the cats for feeding but that was really stressful on me and them. I am currently trying to figure out a less expensive food option that is safe for both of these fuzz-butts.

9. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I have these! Expensive yes, so worth the money for me! 4 cats - one FD/IBD, one CKD, 1 fluffy and 1 hoover. These have saved me countless hours of worry and now Jones and CKD civvie can free feed as they used to.

Yong & Maury GA and AlphaCat like this.
  10. Jess and Marky Mark

Those feeders are awesome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.