? BG down w/ *less* insulin?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by shelaghc, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

Second time postponing Jester's curve. He hasn't been eating well, had diarrhea two days in a row, and has visibly lost weight. I figured the stress of all those ear prickings all day long, which I'm still not great at, wouldn't be wise right now.

That noted, is it unusual for BG to go down with a lower insulin dose?

Jester was on 2U for several weeks and his BG was pretty consistently everywhere from the high 200s all the way up to over 500 one morning. Lots of purple in the spreadsheet.
    Then he went down a couple of times to the mid hundreds and I reduced his dosage to 1U.
    The highest his BG has been since then (and I realize it's only been a few days) is the low 200s.

Even when I gave him no insulin one morning because of problems the night before, he was still under 200 the following evening.

It's worth noting that he's also been "off his feed," nibbling or not eating at all, along with the vast majority of what he will eat being medium carb foods around the 14 range. (Info about his eating habits and other issues are in the Notes section of Jester's spreadsheet. )

Thoughts? Similar experiences? Epiphanies?

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Given what he's showing you at one unit, the numbers bouncing around on the 2u was likely because it was overdosing him. It's hard to know since there isn't a ton of data and the shot times move a lot (which can also cause bouncing numbers), but that's my best guess. Also, considering the data on the one unit, I wonder if he wouldn't go into remission on lower carb food? Getting him to eat something is essential though, so for now do whatever you need to do to keep him eating. And please check for ketones if you aren't already. It is a very real and serious concern for diabetic cats when they aren't eating well.

Have you tried fortiflora to get him to eat? My civie couldn't care less about it, but Sam would eat anything if I sprinkled that stuff on top first.

As for the curve, you might just try to grab a +4 and +6 instead of doing a full curve if he isn't tolerating it well. Getting some mid-cycle numbers is important to figuring out if he's getting enough or too much insulin, but a full every-two-hour curve isn't necessary if you're worried he isn't feeling well.

3. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

Jester actually did go into remission briefly about a month after being diagnosed. He was indeed on very low carb foods. Then, just when the vet declared him in remission, Jester inexplicably stopped eating almost entirely. I was at the point of syringe feeding him. And, being low income, didn't have the funds to get a comprehensive diagnosis.

The vet wasn't willing to take on the testing knowing I probably wouldn't have a way to pay him.

It was about a week and a half before he began eating completely on his own again. And the only stuff he would eat was *very* high carb foods - in the low to mid 20s.

We have an appointment with the current vet coming up. I'll bring it up with him.

Someone kindly donated a whole box of packets to us. But Jester runs hot and cold on it. It tends to work better for Bastian, my kitty with a tumor in his jaw.
    When I told the vet about Jester's diarrhea and asked if the Fortiflora would help, he said I should try it. Jester wouldn't touch any of the food at that point.

I might try that on Tuesday if he's doing better. I should be home most of the day.

He's eaten a little over half a can at this point - all mid-range carb. And he's been hanging out with me a lot more and asking to be fed.

I've already had one melt-down this week about how under-weight he is.

4. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you think he could have pancreatitis? It is not uncommon for diabetic kitties to have bouts (after all, the pancreas makes insulin) Sometimes, the only symptoms are lack of appetite. Unfortunately, I am only all too familiar the disease.
    Here is a link on the forum about the disease, and if you check out ibdkitties.net, there's also a lot of information about it. See if any of the signs or symptoms seem familiar :bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.