? BG guidelines & testing, need help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by buddhasmom, Mar 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buddhasmom

buddhasmom Member

I just did my first successful at home BG test. Buddha did great! Someone give us a high five or something! Haha. Now, I have questions. I tested him about 6.5 hrs after injection. He had 2 meals since the injection, but it had been 3 hrs since his last meal when I tested. I used 2 test strips just to make sure & I got readings of 143 & 134. My questions are:

-What number are we aiming for at this time of day (6-7 hrs after injection, w/ no food given in the last 3 hrs)?
    -What other times of day should I test & what numbers should I look for then?
    -What time of day will BG be highest & when will it be lowest?

He's currently on 1.5 units of ProZinc, at around noon & midnight everyday. I'm trying to figure out if I should increase to the vet suggested 2 units, based on his current numbers. He's also eating a very low carb, high protein wet food, 6 times a day.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

So these numbers are 6 hours after the shot?

buddhasmom likes this.
  3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Yay! Congrats on your testing success. :)

Mogs

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  4. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

Great news on testing!

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  5. buddhasmom

buddhasmom Member

Well, it was about 6-6.5 hrs after the shot.

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Ok. I was worried it might have been at shot time.

A cat is generally considered regulated if they are in the lower to mid 200s at preshot and in low 100s or double digits at nadir. But not below 68 on a pet meter or 50 on a human meter, which is nearing hypo territory. So, with ProZinc, that can be the first range to aim for. 136 is a nice nadir for a cat new to insulin. If he were mine, I would leave the dose for a week or so and see, once he adapts to the insulin and the lower carb diet, if he gradually drops lower. We also suggest not shooting a preshot under 200 until you have enough data to know what a given dose might so.

If you decide he is not in the ranges you would like and you have enough data to give you an idea of what a given dose does, then you could increase by 0.25 if and as needed. We advise not increasing by full units.

If you'd like dosing advice, you can post on the ProZinc forum. Can we help you put together a spreadsheet that will keep track of your levels/doses for you, your vet and us - if you need advice, it is safest if we can see his latest history. If you need help, click on my picture and send me a private conversation.

Congrats on the test and welcome to the Vampire Club! You are on your way!

Critter Mom and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  7. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

8. buddhasmom

buddhasmom Member

I tested him this morning before shot. It had been about 11.5 hrs since last night's shot & food. He tested at 198. So, that's 134 at nadir yesterday & 198 this morning after fasting, pre shot. He's been on this dose (1.5 units, twice daily) for 5 days now. He was previously on (1 unit, twice daily for 5 days) I think he seems pretty regulated & I shouldn't increase. What do you all think?

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

If he were mine, I'd stick with the dose for a few more cycles. A nadir (5-7 hours after the shot today would be very helpful) would help to see if he drops lower today than yesterday, since you don't know whether today's preshot number is lower than yesterday. The food change and the insulin can take awhile to work together in his body. It is better, especially in the beginning, for him to run a little higher than lower as they tend to be more unpredictable at first.

buddhasmom and Critter Mom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.