? BG is NOT regulated and getting worse with more insulin, help!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by unscented_seahorse, Jul 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unscented_seahorse

unscented_seahorse New Member

Hey guys, I posted this in the general forum and was advised to post here as well. Please help!

--------------------

Being sick, unpacking from a move, working extra hours, and trying to still sleep and be a human are not excuses for letting my cat's health decline, but I acknowledge that I'm letting them get in the way. However, I know you can actually still live a life while giving your cat insulin... I'm just acknowledging here that I know I should be better about checking BG more often, and as of right now I'm vowing to do just that.

Okay. With that said, I'd love it if you guys could take a look at Everest's spreadsheet in my signature. He's on Prozinc, U40s. He's been in the reds pretty consistently pre-shot, some purples, and only one yellow... But this morning he was black. 528. My vet allowed me to ramp up to 3 units per shot (originally prescribed at 1.5), and with that scary number this morning I did the first shot of 3 units.

I'm confused as to why he seems to be getting worse! Why would he have higher pre-shot numbers when I'm giving more insulin? What can I do?

If it helps, there are 3 cats including him given the following at each mealtime (when I give the shot), which they chow on throughout the day:
    • Science Diet m/d dry (glucose/weight management) - 1/2 cup
    • 1 pouch or tray of wet food with gravy - currently trying to find one they like since these punks won't touch pate at all. They love Soulistic Moist & Tenders, which are between 9-15 on the carb chart.
    Thank you guys for any help, advice, or moral support. This is pretty scary.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. As I mentioned in your other thread, high-carb foods will keep glucose levels higher. So, that is probably at least part of your issue. Also, without any mid-cycle test results, it is not really possible to determine the impact the insulin is having. If you have only pre-shot test results, you do not know if the dose is too low or too high. Sometimes, a PS result is higher because the cat has gone low during a cycle and that has resulted in a 'bounce' which sends glucose levels higher. So, you are going to have to get more mid-cycle test data before there is anything to base dosing decisions on.

3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Well I'll start by saying these kind of ARE good excuses for having holes in your SS. Sure, it's better if you can test more, but moving is stressful, and being sick just makes this hard. You have to take care of yourself so you can take care of your baby. That being said, it would be great if you could get more tests in so we can help you out more. I do hope you're feeling better though!

My guess from what I see is that your baby simply isn't getting enough insulin. The food you're feeding is probably part of the reason. While you work on getting them to something better, you may just need more insulin. We can confirm that Everest needs more when you get some more numbers.

This is pretty scary, but you're NOT alone with it. We're more than happy to help you out as you get more numbers, and we are here for you to cry, vent, complain, or anything else! We're happy to be a shoulder and an ear when you need it!

Djamila likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.