? BG keeps going up

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mary & Navi, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

Hi all,

So Navi’s BG has been a little all over the place. I did a Curve yesterday and it wasn’t too bad. I sent it to her vet and he responded this afternoon to up her vestsulin dose from 2 units to 3. I only gave her 2.4 units (to the 6 mark on a U-100 syringe) to better keep an eye on how she’ll handle a larger dose.

Well, just an hour after shot time she went from 497 to 511! What could be causing this? Someone suggested giving her less, which I tried and didnt seem to make much of a difference.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

That's totally normal.....we expect them to go up at +1 due to the food spike

497 and 511 are really the same number anyway.....all meters are allowed a 20% variance, so both those numbers are basically equal

3. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

Ok thank you! I only did about 1/2 a unit increase this time and will work up to the full unit. I tested her again at +2 because she’s acting super hungry still and she was at 246. Is it ok to give some food, or best to have her wait until breakfast?

4. Chris & China (GA)

It's actually easier on the pancreas to deal with multiple small meals instead of 2 huge ones....while it IS important that she eat a normal sized meal before shooting (since you're using Vetsulin), it's fine for her to have some snacks in between

5. Chris & China (GA)

That's actually quite a large drop for so early. Vetsulin does tend to hit "hard and fast" but I'd really suggest that you get at least 1 more test in tonight

6. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

I wasn’t able to test again (fell asleep), but I did give her half a can of FF and made sure she settled in before going to bed.

This morning she was at 550 AMPS. I have to go somewhere for the day, but I won’t be leaving until about 10a (+3) so I’ll get 2-3 tests in before I go. I only did the 2.4u again today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.