BG Level 56 This Morning - Need Help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by DavesMom, Dec 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavesMom

DavesMom Member

Hello! Dave (after a big struggle with constipation last week.....a few enemas and a manual extraction later) had his sugar levels tested this morning and it was at 56. Seems very low. I gave him some food and he ate, but not a lot of it. I use the ReliOn Micro from Walmart, so not sure if that is an accurate reading, or if it needs to be adjusted for animal testing, but what should I do?

2. DavesMom

DavesMom Member

I obviously did not give him insulin this morning, but I did have to leave about half an hour later to go to work. Not sure if I should be talking to my boss about working from home to be with him the rest of the day?

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

No, you don't have to adjust that reading. It's far too low to give insulin but is a lovely normal BG number. I'll encourage you strongly to test before every insulin dose - if you have to give one. Also try to get mid cycle data as often as possible or, if you're out at work, evening/days off data. The only way we can give good advice is having data to look at. I don't mean to harangue you but we want to help as well as we can.

Re working from home: he hasn't had insulin last night or this AM so he should be fine. Barring a rare medical issue called an insulinoma, they don't hypo when they don't get insulin.

4. DavesMom

DavesMom Member

Okay, thank you so much for the info. I wasn't sure if 56 was too low and he should have gotten karo or anything. It makes me feel better that it is a normal number. I will likely be getting an early release from work today (due to the holiday weekend) so I should be able to go back around 2 pm (7 hours after morning testing) and would be able to test him again. I am definitely going to start testing twice daily in order to get more accurate readings. My vet initially told me once or twice a week would be fine, but I think given all his recent issues, I'm better off testing twice daily. I am going to try to do a curve this weekend while I am home.

Vader723, Dyana and Kris & Teasel like this.
  5. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

You should always test before feeding and giving him his shot. Otherwise, you don't know if it safe. If you can, it helps to test sometime in the middle of the cycle and at bedtime when you can so you know what's going on. I know it's hard when you are working. Just do what you can.

6. DavesMom

DavesMom Member

Just tested him again at +8 and he’s still at only 49, which concerns me a bit. That was before food though, he’s eating now.

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Let him eat. He's been without insulin so he'll be OK. We worry about these numbers when there's insulin on board because of the possibility of them dropping dangerously lower.

8. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

That's with no insulin last night or this morning, right? So that +8 isn't 8hrs post-insulin, it's more like +32. Pretty exciting!

9. DavesMom

DavesMom Member

Yes, that’s true. He hasn’t had insulin since yesterday morning. He sure is acting like a little kitten right now too! Something he hasn’t done in a long long time haha. I will test again tonight before his regular insulin time!

Sharon14 likes this.
  10. DavesMom

DavesMom Member

Look at how handsome! He’s being so playful

Attached Files:

11. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

He’s sooooo cute!!!!!!:cat:

12. nmveasey

nmveasey Member

Well done Dave! I hope these numbers continue for you and him!

13. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Katie,

Well done catching the 56 with your home testing.

FYI, it is possible for constipation to elevate BG numbers.

Fingers and paws crossed in the Shire for the lovely healthy numbers to continue. What are you doing to prevent recurrence of the constipation? Here's a great related site:

http://felineconstipation.org/

Mogs

14. DavesMom

DavesMom Member

Hey Mogs! Right now, we are doing Miralax twice a day and canned pumpkin mixed in his food to help prevent further bouts of constipation. It seems to be working, fingers crossed! And fingers crossed that these numbers become the norm as well!

15. Critter Mom

Watching this space ...

[​IMG]

Mogs

16. DavesMom

DavesMom Member

Dave's temperament has improved GREATLY over the past few days!!! I think the constipation might have been causing the spiked sugar levels. His sugar was 72 again this morning, even after allowing him to eat some of his non-diabetic friendly treats that he loves so much. I definitely plan on keeping him on the fancy feast classics, but its good to know that he will be fine if I give him some treats now and then. Fingers crossed that these levels continue!

17. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

:cat: Yay Dave!!!

18. Critter Mom

Constipation can make a cat feel really lousy. Very glad to hear that Dave's more of a happy camper now. :cat:

Mogs

DavesMom likes this.
  19. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

So glad Dave is feeling better.

20. Randi & Effy

Randi & Effy Member

So glad you got the hang of home testing!!! I just randomly decided to check out your profile and see if there were any updates recently! He seems to be doing pretty good minus the poopy part, lol. So happy for you and dave! He's doing way better than Effy is number wise, I'm so jealous! :) lol

21. DavesMom

DavesMom Member

It’s honestly crazy, he’s like a miracle kitty! After our second quick constipation scare on Christmas Day, he’s been a whole new cat! Plays like a kitten, eating, drinking, and pooping regularly, and overall just higher mood! I’m amazed. He’s definitely resilient!

22. Critter Mom

Thanks for letting us know how well Dave is doing. I'm delighted for both of you! :cat:

That's the most important lesson I've learned about cats: they can be extraordinarly resilient. Saoirse certainly put me to shame in that regard. :oops: (((Saoirse)))

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.