BG levels consistently high, looking for thoughts re changing insulin type

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Michele & Theo, Apr 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michele & Theo

Michele & Theo Member

My Theo has been on Prozinc insulin since the end of January 2019. We started at 1.5u 2x/day and have increased the dosage twice since then to the current dose of 3u 2x/day (changes made in discussion with VET). However none of these changes has resulted in a drop in is BG levels (see his spreadsheet). His avg BG levels are in the high teen/low 20s mmol/L. His neuropathy is getting worse, now affecting all 4 paws (now cannot jump much more than a a foot or so, if that; problems in the litter box; tires quickly). I have had preliminary discussion with my VET re changing type of insulin and am looking for advice from folks here on a possible different type of insulin which could help bring his levels closer to normal (I need to get a new bottle of insulin in the next couple of days).
    Theo eats well (2+ cans/day). I treat his neuropathy with a compounded version of Zobaline (2 caplets/day that were made at a local compounding pharmacy with only the two active ingredients at the same ratio as Zobaline (methylcobalamin+ folic acid) since it is difficult to get the product to Canada.
    Thoughts re other insulin which might help??????

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Michele, many of us that switched from prozinc switched to either Lantus or Levemir. Both are human insulins and work well in cats. You can go to the Lantus levemir Forum and read the stickies about how they work. You can also post there and ask for advice on a switch.

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Michele & Theo

Michele & Theo Member

he is on the Pro Plan DM (dietetic management) which is specific for diabetic cats... he doesn't like Pate so we have the version with the small morsels.

5. MindyC

MindyC Member

We just got Max switched from Novolin to Lantus. He was on Lantus 9 years ago and it worked well for him. Seems to be working well for him again so far. It hasn't been a full week on it yet, but his numbers are fluctuating less and overall are coming down into a normal range. It's not cheap, but if it works, it works. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.