BG levels great but still acting Hypo???

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Polar Bear's Mom, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Polar Bear's Mom

Polar Bear's Mom New Member

Polar Bear was diagnosed the end of January 2010 but has responded really well to treatment. I started him on 2.5 units of Lantus 2x daily and started to transition him to high protien diet. His first curve came in a little high (average low-mid 200's) and the vet upped him to 3 units. We have fully transitioned to high protien food, but haven't managed to get him completely off dry kibble yet. He's been on 3 units for about a month now and his numbers are great. Nothing near hypo and never over 110. His last curve came in great, almost flat with an average of 100.

Although for about the last week during the day he starts to look sick again, real sick like he did when first diagnosed. He's lathargic and won't eat and he has that "sick kitty" look in his eyes. I always spot test to make sure he's not hypo but his levels are still ok, 70-90. He seems to pull out of it right around injection/dinner time.

When I asked the vet, she said that he had gone so long with BG levels in the high 300's that it's possible his body is just adjusting to the new lower levels. I wasn't real confident about that response. I couldn't find anything on these symptoms online, does anyone have any advice or ideas???

Thanks!
    Jessica

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

He was started at too high a dose for the insulin you are using and he was increased with too little information.

Most vets do not know much about using Lantus, it is too new for them. A starting dose of .5 or 1 unit is more conducive to success. Please go to the Lantus forum and read the stickies there. Ask for the advice of those skilled with Lantus. Take the information back to your vet.

This place has, since its inception, been a testing ground for treatment and for many years people here have been going back to train their vets. You are about to become such a teacher.

In the meantime, cut the dose to 1 unit, test often and be certain to test for ketones, Let us know what happens.

4. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

What blood glucose meter are you using?

5. Polar Bear's Mom

Polar Bear's Mom New Member

Thanks for the tips, I will explore the Lantus forum today. I'm using an Alpha Track meter Vicky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.