BG monitor and syringe

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sarai, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarai

Sarai New Member

I'm sure it's been asked but I see a lot of info regarding the glucose monitors out there that we should be using. My question is there any in particulur (for example, Relion has several different styles to choose from so I am not sure which one would be best) that we should be using and what type of syringe should I be looking for? Is there a specific brand that most of you guys prefer?

2. Sharon Candido

Sharon Candido New Member

I'm new to all of this but my vet recommended AlphaTrak. I just started using it and its very simple to use. Got it on Amazon for around $55.00

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I think it's a matter of preference and affordability regarding selection of a monitor. We began with a pet monitor, the AlphaTrak2, at the recommendation of the vet. It's a good monitor, but more expensive than some of the human monitors. In addition, you have to order test strips online. If you run out, you have to wait. We decided to buy the Relion Confirm from Walmart, it takes the same tiny blood sample and the strips are not only readily available, but much less expensive. The most important thing is, get something and home test. The monitor is going to tell you if the blood sugar is high or low.

Many members order syringes online and can give you those recommendations. We got syringes from Walmart for about $14.00. We needed syringes with 1/2 unit markings, I ordered the wrong thing online, and couldn't use them, racked up the shipping fee and the return fee :banghead: Then found what we needed at Walmart: Relion 3/10 ml/cc, up to 30 units, 29 Gauge, 12.7 mm (1/2") needle. You will need 1/2 unit marks on the syringes in the event of a dose increase or decrease, which are done in 0.25 units.
    Depends on how much money you have for the initial outlay and the time factor.

4. Robbie & Oreo

Robbie & Oreo Member

I also like the relion confirm because it takes a very small blood sample and the strips are about 35 cents each if you buy a box of 100. I recently started using the relion syringes mentioned in the previous reply and really lie those, as well. Like probably most people, I also have an alpha track but found it cost prohibitive if you're testing often. I have also found it easier to follow the protocols, which I believe, are written for human meters.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If you want a human meter many use the relion micro or confirm (not Prime as it takes too big of a sample).

6. JanetNJ

As for syringes, so you use u100 or u40? I like bd brand.

I get them on Adwdiabetes.com

7. AshleyDiamond

AshleyDiamond Member

I use the Relion Prime and have had no issues with it needing a bigger blood sample. Honestly its still just a tiny drop of blood and it has worked perfectly for us. The prime is also the most affordable and the strips are the cheapest. You can get 100 for $17.88. And trust me you go through ALOT of strips, especially in the beginning. All cats learn to bleed better after so many pokes so the amount of blood you need shouldn't be a problem. A couple helpful tips I can recommend is to make a rice sock. Just put about 1/4-1/2 cup of rice in a sock and tie it up. When you go to test, heat the rice sock in the microwave for about 20 seconds and gently rub it against kittys ear. Warming the ear helps bring the blood to the surface. Also pick up some Vaseline and apply a small amount to the ear where you will poke. It helps the dot of blood bubble up perfectly instead of running through the hair. After I'm done I apply another small amount of Vaseline just to keep it from scabbing or drying out. Oh and I also use cotton balls or cotton pads to place behind kittys ear when you poke, and then to easily apply a little pressure afterwards to stop the bleeding.

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

You mentioned probably starting on Lantus when you posted in the introduction page so you would need the U- 100 syringes.
    The vet ordering the insulin should know what syringes to use and give you some to start off with.
    Do not use the U40 with Lantus as you will give the incorrect dose. The U40 is for a different insulin.

The two protocols here on the forum (the tight regulation and the start slow, go slow protocols) use the human meter numbers as a guideline, so if you get a human meter like the Relion you will be able to follow it easily.
    The Alphatrak 2 meter has numbers slightly different to the human meter so there is some adjustment to take into consideration.
    The majority of people here use the human meter.

9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I used the Relion Micro. No issues. Strips are so much cheaper and I often bought on eBay on auction. You just have to check the expiration dates. My vet had never used the Micro but was fine with it.

Leah likes this.
  10. Sarai

Sarai New Member

Thanks for the advice. I got the Relion Prime. I am having difficulty using the lancer on their ear. I can't really see the vein with the tip, so I did it free hand but she's reluctant. I may just do the paw method because it might be less harmful to her.

11. AshleyDiamond

AshleyDiamond Member

@Sarai did you try putting the clear cap on the lancing device?

12. Sarai

Sarai New Member

This one didn't have it. It's the OneTouch Delica (we have limited resources here for available use, I'll have to order a different one).

13. JanetNJ

You aren't supposed to aim for the vein. You want the space between the vein and the edge. We call it the sweet spot.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.