? BG monitors and BG curve

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MsMolly, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsMolly

MsMolly New Member

My cat, Molly, was just diagnosed so I’m going tomorrow to Walmart to get a ReliOn monitor. Is there any difference between the micro and confirm? Also, besides test strips, do I need to get extra lancets? If so, are there different kinds of lancets. What should I get?

Also, I’m trying to understand the BG curve and found an article by a vet that was kinda confusing. Could you point me to some more info on the curves so I know how often to test her. I thought I’d only be testing her before injections. Being new at this, I’m afraid the first couple of times I may stress her out so much and may not want to traumatize her again in a few hours. How often should I test her if she’s extremely stressed especially since I read this affects her numbers?

Barbara

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

So glad you are going to be home testing.

The difference between those meters as far as I know it's mainly size. The micro is smaller. Look at them both and see which you perfer.

You need

1. The meter
    2. Box of 100 extra test strips
    3. Box of 100 26-28 gauge lancets (get the cheapest ones that you can find. The ones I use are about $1.19 for 100
    4. Cotton cosmetic rounds
    5. Neosporin ointment with pain relief

You will want to get a test before the shot. No food 2 hours prior to the preshot test. Test, then feed, then shoot.

Whenever possible get a mid cycle test.

Every so often you'll want to do a curve. That's a test every 2 hours for 12 hours. First get the tests involved thing down before you stress over doing curves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.