BG numbers climbing again

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kristin and Abby (GA), Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristin and Abby (GA)

Kristin and Abby (GA) Member

Hey all,

First post new board...I was a daily poster over in Lantus-land 2 years ago when Abby was diagnosed with diabetes. She was on Lantus for about 10-14 days when she bounded into remission and has been there ever since. Until recently, her BG numbers were very consistent 60-90.

Earlier this year her routine blood work showed marginal hyperthyroidism. So we watched it and retested when this Spring it was even higher so we began transdermal methimazole at some very low dose. A re-check of blood showed a couple months ago that this dose brought her back to normal thyroid levels. I was checking her BG's during this and they were up a little, but only around 100-120...suspicious yet not worrisome.

So now I checked and BG is up near 150. I had heard that hyperthyroidism can "bring back" diabetes and I'm afraid Abby is going to be the norm there. I'm wondering if any of you have had similar experiences and if so, what did you do about it? I really don't want to have to do both methimazole and insulin again, but I will if I must. Does anyone know anything about if we went the radioactive iodine route, whether that would decrease the odds that the diabetes gets to the point where I need to shoot insulin again? There's a center near me and while expensive, it's not cost prohibitive. My only concern there is her turning into the devil-kitty when hospitalized.

I of course will ask my vet too, but I thought I'd survey the general populace here first since in my previous time here there was plenty of experience and lots of good insight.

Thanks!
    Kristin (and Abby)

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

No direct experience except that when Oliver's blood glucose levels rose after remission, he ended up with cardiomyopathy. That is certainly not the case with every kitty, just my experience. I am wondering if you could just start with a general vet checkup since it has been awhile. It might be a simple infection of some sort. (Rule out the horses before you look for zebras?)

3. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi,

don't have any personal experience of this myself, but this site is very informative (if a little overwhelming because it has so much info on it).
    Due to work I haven't been able to go into depth reading it to see about link between methimazole and recurring FD.
    Maybe you can find something.

http://www.felinecrf.org/related_diseas ... arbimazole

Paws crossed you can help your kitty :D

4. Kristin and Abby (GA)

Kristin and Abby (GA) Member

Thanks for the link and the suggestion. I'll check out the link as I can. You're right; there's a ton there! Abby actually had a dental in late July so it's not been too long since she's been reasonably checked over. They also did pre-op blood work then too, but I don't know what all they run with that.

I just thought that perhaps the iodine route would give the best chance of the diabetes not going fully wonky again, if indeed there is a link between hyperthyroidism (or methimazole) and diabetes. If it does, well...I guess I should be thankful for the 2+ years we had on the honeymoon.

Thanks again for the replies so far!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.