Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debbie in Arkansas

Debbie in Arkansas Member

What range in BG numbers is normal for diabetic cats? I'm sure it is in the forum info but I am still learning my way around.

2. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if there is really an official "normal" number or range for diabetic cats, but I like the information I've found on the Vetsulin website regarding insulin treatment: "The aim of treatment is to alleviate clinical signs of diabetes. To achieve this goal, keep blood glucose concentrations below the renal threshold and avoid hypoglycemia. Thus, the goal is to maintain blood glucose concentrations roughly between 120 to 300 mg/dL in cats for the majority of the day." I know I've found different numbers for renal threshold, and I think part of that is because every cat is different. I take renal threshold at about 260-280. I try to keep Lou under this number as much as possible.

3. Debbie in Arkansas

Thank you! So the highest my meter should show if the diabetes is being controlled is 300? We have a ReliOn Confirm.

4. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

I don't want you to think of it that way (my cat should never go above ___ number), it'll make you go insane. :confused: Especially since sometimes anything can happen in this FD marathon. I was reviewing the FDMB FAQ page, and found the following information regarding regulation that will hopefully help (I like that it provides numbers and symptoms to give you a better idea):

Q6.1. What is regulation?

A6.1. There are different definitions of regulation. As hometesting becomes more common, we've been getting a better understanding of what cats and their humans might be capable of. Janet & Fitzgerald propose the following "regulation continuum":
    • Not treated [blood glucose typically above 300 mg/dl (16.7 mmol/L), poor clinical signs]
    • Treated but not regulated [often above 300 (16.7) and rarely near 100 (5.6), poor clinical signs]
    • Regulated [generally below 300 (16.7) with glucose nadir near 100 (5.6), good clinical signs, no hypoglycemia]
    • Well regulated [generally below 200-250 (11.1-13.9) and often near 100 (5.6), no hypoglycemia]
    • Tightly regulated [generally below 150 (8.3) and usually in the 60-120 (3.3-6.7) range, no hypoglycemia, still receiving insulin]
    • Normalized [60-120 (3.3-6.7) except perhaps directly after meals -- usually not receiving insulin]

Q6.2. Which definition of regulation should be my goal?

A6.2. That depends on your individual situation. Generally, it's thought that a cat will suffer less long-term organ and nerve damage if his average blood glucose is lower rather than higher. However, because preventing hypoglycemia is a top priority, it may not be practical to try for normal numbers. The ability of your cat to respond to food and insulin in a consistent manner and your own ability to monitor your cat are both important factors in setting your goal. For most cats who are receiving insulin, "regulated" is a reasonable first goal, after which you can try for "well-regulated". For the lucky minority who can be diet-controlled, normalization is often achievable. It’s important to realize that some cats never consistently stay in regulation range in spite of all efforts, and yet they can be happy and healthy anyway. Ultimately, you should tailor your goals to your cat's individual situation, and you should always consider your cat's quality of life as well as the numbers as you evaluate how well your treatment protocol is working.

So ultimately, it's not just the numbers on the glucometer, it's how low the insulin takes your kitty and how your kitty is doing overall. The information in the first answer really helped me when I first started to know what I was looking for in his numbers, cycles, and symptoms (or lack thereof).

5. Debbie in Arkansas

Thank you Amanda! I appreciate you finding this info for me. This explains it perfectly!

6. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say hello from SW Missouri ! You are in the exact right place for knowledge and encouragement on this priceless board !!! Welcome !!!

7. Debbie in Arkansas

Thank you. What a precious baby you have! This group is wonderful:) I have learned so much already!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.