BG Reading challenges, evening only weirdnesses?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ReneeM787, Jun 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReneeM787

ReneeM787 Member

Ok, I need input from the hive mind with more experience. Peaches spreadsheet is here if you'd like to see it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rNwdIhT3e61x_xtjR5dqUbJPBKGqyYN6yLLK5yP7ZBI/edit?usp=sharing

I am new to at home testing, but started practicing before gradually switching her over to high protein food with complete switch on 5/27/20. My first goal is to get her stable, slowly and safely. I have switched her from Novalin 70/30 to ProZinc. I need to be more consistent (set an alarm) to take the 5+ hr number.

But, what I want you to notice and give feedback on is that her evening BG numbers are weirdly low. This week, I've twice given her no insulin in the evening because (while not in the normal or dangerous range), the numbers are so incredibly low FOR HER. Could I be doing something wrong in taking the measurement? I have waited a few minutes between, switched ears, washed hands and cat ears, prayed, said bad words. That exhausts my current bag of tricks... Just now, I took a measurement that was 169, which would be her lowest ever by a hundred. I waited 5 minutes and used the other ear and got 269, which seems more believable. What gives?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I’ll let others more experienced chime in, but I think you’ve got your AMPS and PMPS and Unit columns mixed up. Under “U” you should have the units not the reading that should be under the AMPS and PMPS columns :)
    The day you got the 200, I’d still have gone ahead with a full dose. The numbers are lower than what you used to, but by skipping you’re getting a higher amps number the next day. Also, you’re decreasing the doses by full units and we recommend doing that by .25 increments so you don’t miss the ideal dose.

odd about the 2 super different readings. What meter are you using? It would be very helpful if you could at some point set up your signature. Here’s the link for that:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-how-you-can-help-us-help-you.216696/

hang on for more replies! :cat:

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

At 269 you didn't need to skip the dose. Even at 200 you could have tried 2-2.5

Please switch your readings and units so they are in the correct spots. Makes it easier when the color coding is right.

4. ReneeM787

ReneeM787 Member

Thanks guys. I set up signature and made the switch to spreadsheet columns. I think I’ll plan to do shots earlier in the day for a bit so I won’t be going to bed as quickly after the PM one. Then I would be more comfortable doing a smaller dose shot in the evening, even when BG is comparatively low.

The FB Group collectively put the fear of God into me about a hypo event and I am really afraid of that. My town doesn’t have a 24 hr vet and I would hate to do too much insulin and then sleep through a hypo event.

Also, the fact this seems to only happen in the evening and sometimes when I try to repeat it for verification, there are such wild swings is freaking me out.

Thanks.

5. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

When does kitty eats most of its meals? That may play a factor into when Peaches right and low numbers

6. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

That sounds like a good plan so you’re not worried about where she’s headed overnight. Not having a 24 hour vet would freak me out too. I had to rush Minnie to the ER at 3 am last week so I get it :nailbiting: but you don’t want to skip too much as it will make it difficult to regulate her

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Renee one thing you can add to you signature is that you are now using Prozinc , I do see it on your spreadsheet but sometimes members look at the signature first. :cat:Peaches is a cutie

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  8. ReneeM787

ReneeM787 Member

I free feed Dr Elsey’s dry and give her Tiny Tasters wet a few times a day (including by request, she’s got me trained). Today, she ate a small amount about 3 hrs before testing and a larger amount about an hour before. I’m new enough to not fully grasp how this affects her numbers. But, I have seen numerous posts about the importance of having “food on board “ and she is underweight. So, denying her food when she wants it feels counterproductive. Happy to have advice on this.

9. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Most of us give our cats the bulk of their meals around shot times but also smaller feedings a few times a day. I’ll say I’m not a fan of dry food for diabetic cats especially if that’s a major part of her diet. I’d consider slowly transitioning her more into wet and less dry if you can. Wet food is much better for diabetic cats. Most of us feed FF pate here which is not terribly expensive, but still less than 10% carbs

the main thing is no food at least 2 hours before the amps and pmps. If you feed her an hour before the numbers you’re getting are higher because of the influence of food. So she could actually in rainy he lower and need a dose decrease. Try that for the next day or two to see the difference.

10. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Can you also try to get a midday number tomorrow? We recommend the dose changes based on the lowest number in the day and no the ps numbers

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Like Aleluia said no food at least 2 hours before the AMPS and PMPS it will give you higher readings also looking at your spreadsheet please try to do more testing if possible.
    Maybe at +3 then +6 and +8 then the next day +2 then +5 and 7 this is both for am and pm
    Cats usually go lower at night.
    If you work you can do it on the weekends. Do you have the syringes with the half unit markings or just the whole markings. With the half unit markings its easier to increase or decrease by 0.25 units or 0.5 units
    Thank you for adding the prozinc to your signature:cat:

12. ReneeM787

ReneeM787 Member

I have U-40 syringes from my vet with full unit markings only. If there is a kind that is preferred and you have a link, please let me know. I've been using the Feline Diabetes Amazon link for food and supplies. I'm so glad to have the help of a community!

13. ReneeM787

ReneeM787 Member

Thank you both for telling me to avoid feeding 2 hours before the AMPS and PMPS. I didn't know this. I've been reading, but if there is an article that explains how feeding times affect BG, I'd like to know more. I would expect eating to raise BG, but this is amateur speculation.

And I will do more testing today. I had just done a full curve and was trying to give us both a break. ;-)

14. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I feel like there is so tagging @Deb & Wink also because I know she can explain what to do about the U40 syringes. I know with prozync it’s harder using the U100. She usually comes on in the evenings so hang on for a reply :)

I think the gist of it is that the body/pancreas releases glucose to break down the food so you’re getting a higher reading then when there’s no food to be digested. Just to clarify that’s only and issue before the shots you can feed and test the rest of the day if you’re taking more readings or doing a curve let’s say

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Renee I used these in the past when I was using U-40 syringes with half unit markings from ADWDiabetes.com
    The ones with half unit markings make it easier to increase or decrease dosages
    [​IMG]
    UltiCare U-40 Pet Syringes 29G, 3/10cc, 1/2" - Half Unit Mark 100ct
    4.8 out of 5 stars from 40 reviews
    Shop all UltiCare products

Item # SY5751582001
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Deliver One Time Only
    Your Low Price: $15.50
    Schedule AutoShip and Save 5%
    Diabetic Coverage AutoShip Price: $14.73

I'm not familiar with the Amazon link you mentioned, you can look and see if they have them where you buy your supplies. You probably will need a script from your vet. ADW is great, call them and they will contact your vet for you
    Here is a coupon they have

ADW Diabetes Storewide Promotions
    ADW5OFF
    [​IMG]
    Take an additional $5.00 off all orders of $50.00 or more!

DIA10
    [​IMG]
    10% off your next order
    If you ever order over the phone instead of online give the woman the coupon code
    I have never had a problem with them

Here is another brand

[​IMG]
    CarePoint Vet U-40 Pet Syringe 29G 3/10cc 1/2" w/Half Unit Marks 100ct
    4.8 out of 5 stars from 49 reviews
    Shop all CarePoint Vet products

Item # SY8622749035
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Deliver One Time Only
    Your Low Price: $12.67
    Schedule AutoShip and Save 5%
    Diabetic Coverage AutoShip Price: $12.04

16. Diane Tyler's Mom

[​IMG]

:D

If you look at the syringe it has the numbers 5 10 15 20 25 30
    Then there are lines in between these numbers. Each of those bigger lines is 1 unit.
    The smaller lines in between the bigger lines are 0.5 or 1/2 unit markings

Look at the photo attached and you will see the lines and what they mean

17. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

The main thing you want to do, when using any insulin syringe, is to be consistent in the dose you draw up. For syringes that only have the full unit markings, you "guesstimate" or "eyeball visually" where a dose between the lines would fall.

You can make yourself a "reference syringe" with some colored water and a used syringe. Draw up the dose to where you think it should be, falling between the lines. Set that reference syringe aside. Now draw your actual insulin dose in a new syringe, and match the insulin syringe against the reference syringe to make sure they are the same, or as close as possible to the same amounts.

Some people do use calipers to measure the dose. That is another option, to draw up a dose consistently. There is a thread on using calipers, to be found in the Health Links/FAQS Index.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.