BG still high after 20 days on Pro-zinc showing signs of neuropathy in hind quarters.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Deborah W., Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deborah W.

Deborah W. New Member

Hello, My cat Rocky still has high BG readings after 20 days on Pro-zinc. He is walking on his rear haunches at times and having a little difficulty jumping up on things. His BG readings using AlphaTrak never fall below 350. The vet doesn't want to change the dose yet. He is also always hungry. I'm not sure if I am testing his blood at the proper time. The vet says to check about 7 hours after injection but nothing about food timing. I read here that the dosing should not be done withing the two hours after feeding. Is it possible I am testing at the wroing time?

2. Lilly’s Mom

Lilly’s Mom Member

I test Lilly just before dosing. When I was trying to get her stabilized, I did a curve, where I tested her every 2 to 3 hours to try and see how she was doing the day. I could not get her levels regulated until I moved her to a completely wet food diet of Fancy Feast Pate and Tiki Cat. Check out the food chart from this site. Lilly was a 13 year dry food only cat and it was a hard transition but with the information from this site, I became convinced very low carb to no carb was the way to help her most. It took about ten days on only those foods before she really stabilized. I would also recommend you start a spreadsheet to track her bg....that helped so much and this site makes it easy. They already have a spreadsheet set up. I thought it would be hard but it wasn’t.you can click on Lilly’s spreadsheet and you will see how her levels were all over the place. Now she has leveled out. I always check her before feeding though.

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.