? BG testing difficulties

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jeff D / Sketch, Apr 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

I have been working with Sketch for a couple weeks now trying to get his insulin dosage better dialed in. Suddenly I'm having trouble getting a blood drop to test. I have been using his right ear in the area outlined in videos and recommended by my Vet. Is it possible that I have damaged the vein? I haven't been testing but once every couple days since he is "Sketchy" when not doing things on HIS terms. It has been hit and miss the last few days...yesterday was able to draw a drop, today nothing after several pricks...finally gave Sketch a break and a treat for my failed efforts today. Anyone else experience this? He is extremely touchy about his left ear and his paws so I have been sticking to sampling from the right ear.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Are you warming the ear? Are you poking the same spot each time? Lastly, are you actually aiming for the vein each time? Most of us do switch ears but if he has a bigger issue with the left ear being touched, you still might be able to desensitize it. Testing is crucial to keeping him safe while administering insulin, so hopefully we can get some ideas for you :)

3. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

He might be picking up on your stress and anxiety. Try singing a song softly. I sang twinkle twinkle little star and, the star spangled banner, just to calm us both down at first. Even if you don't think you can sing. Sing. Hmmmm. Take deep breathes go in with an I am gonna do this baby, and you got to help me help you. It gets better. My phoebes don't like her left ear bothered either so I pick on right and every so often get that left. It gets better. It gets better. Breatheeee

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You shouldn't be poking the vein, but between the vein and outer edge.

Attached Files:

5. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

Thanks Angela and Yong for the advice. I will try to be more precise about the vein. However the first 2 weeks I had no issue getting a sample drop and it doesn't seem I'm doing anything different. That's why I was wondering about possibly having caused an issue with his ear by previous tests?? I really am not that nervous or stressed now about the BG testing or Injections (actually the injections have been easier than the testing) although he may be sensing my frustration in having to make repeated sticks when not successful on the first attempt. As far as singing to him....well, I'm sure Angela your voice is much better than mine!!! lol...my singing might send him running for the hills!

6. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

Thank you for the image.

7. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

I'm at least in the correct "sweet spot" area so I will try to shoot for midway between the vain and the edge to hopefully see a more positive outcome.
    Thanks!

8. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

Thanks Yong. I have been trying to get a curve to work from but Sketch evidently doesn't feel its necessary and isn't cooperating with the plan. I haven't warmed his ear as he doesn't like something other then my fingers touching his ear so I have been rubbing it to encourage blood flow as suggested in a video I watched.
    You seem very knowledgeable as many on this sight are so I'll run by what I've been doing during his first 2 weeks of lantus. So I've had him on 1 unit of lantus once a day to start with. Vet wanted to give it a week or so to see progress and then hope I could get a curve of testing. (I am aware he will probably need two shots a day but I think the Vet wanted to give me and him a chance to get a bit used to the shots and testing thing). Tested a couple times toward the end of first week and his numbers had come down from mid to high 400s to mid to low 300. Since he is difficult to get repeated tests on I have been trying to test 5 to 7 hours after his shot and 3 to 4 hours after any food to try to at least get some sort of baseline response to the lantus. I know its certainly not ideal The Vet has said that possibly bring him in for a day to see if she can get some curve type testing done...the only thing with that is he gets WAY stressed out so his numbers would be inflated so it could still be difficult to get true readings. The Vet is taking a conservative approach as his condition seems pretty good over all. I am really hoping I will be able to get him to see things my way and get a curve going rather than a forced stressful vet visit that may give somewhat false numbers!
    Thanks again and if you have any further advice feel free to throw it my direction.

9. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Jeff! Warming the ear, or rubbing it like you're doing, are both really helpful. Another thing to consider is which gauge lancet you're using. The thin ones that usually come with the meter (30's or 33's usually) can sometimes be too thin to get a good drop from the ear. If you aren't already, you might try 26 or 28 gauge. They are a thicker needle and sometimes work better. Also, maybe try rubbing his ear a little longer before doing the test.

Also, when looking at the 'sweet spot' picture, you see the sweet spot on the right side, but you can also use the area in the left side that shows a lot of capillaries. That might give a little break to the area you're using, but still avoid the left ear.

And one last thing - I've noticed that it's pretty common toward the beginning of this process to struggle to get started with testing, and then get it figured out, and then go through a rough patch where it doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure why, but I experienced it, and have read several other people post about it. So maybe you're just in that difficult 'phase' and in a few days it will get easier again. Fingers crossed anyway....

10. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I have not warmed Maury's ear with anything but my finger's either. If my fingers and his ears are cold, I rub my hands together really fast (friction = heat) then rub his ears with the warmer palm of my hands. Also, like Djamila said, you can move around from the green highlighted sweet spot. Capillaries develop almost along the entire outer ear. You can also use Neosporin (just a thin layer) to help his ears heal along with applying pressure after getting BG reading that will lessen bruising. :). Seriously, ask any questions. If you think you're the only one experiencing something, there's probably at least 1 other member who's been through it or is also there with you :bighug:

Jeff D / Sketch likes this.
  11. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

Thanks Djamila for the input. I believe the lancets are 30s the same that did come with the meter. I may just be in that struggling phase you mention because initially things went smooth and I was thinking "piece of cake..this is no problem". Sketch was an outdoor cat when he adopted me and moved in on a snowy night many years ago. And of course being a outdoor male cat he had had his battles with other cats. He has had a number of old fight wounds to his ears especially the left ear which may be why he doesn't like it messed with and the right has some scar tissue so this might also be making it difficult but I'm hoping for the struggling phase you mentioned! Thanks again

12. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Switching to a bigger gauge like 28 may be a simple solution

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.