BG testing Pittsburgh area

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mislissa777, Mar 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mislissa777

mislissa777 Member

Hello,
    Just wondering if anyone might be close to the South Hills of Pittsburgh. I may need some help with home testing but not sure yet. I've successfully done it once but have not had any other luck. I've done a lot of reading about it & tried a lot of the tips & watched a ton of videos. I will keep trying though!
    Thank you!!!

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

What are you having problems with? Maybe we have some suggestions that could help.

Magic Johnson likes this.
  3. mislissa777

mislissa777 Member

I'm probably the one causing the stress because I get nervous trying to test....which I'm sure she can sense. The only time I got a blood drop is when I accidentally hit the vein. My vet tech said not to hit the vein because it can cause an ear hematoma which makes me more nervous to worry about when I try to prick the edge of her ear. Every time I try using the lancing device I find it very hard to try to aim for the area between the edge of ear & vein. I've tried poking free hand & had better luck but usually don't get blood. Then she gets annoyed when I rub her ear trying to get blood to flow to the area I poked. And she'll start twitching her ears & head. And her ears are black which makes it tough. I also warm with a rice sock. I've watched a million videos & my little angel does not sit still like the kittys in the videos. My lancet size is 30, I may try 28.

4. Sharon14

Yes try the larger gauge lancets. As far as hitting a vein, I’ve done that plenty and never had a hematoma. Just hold some pressure on the spot until it stops bleeding. For nerves, try singing softly, it really helps!

5. mislissa777

mislissa777 Member

Thank u!!!

6. TreeburnerCT

TreeburnerCT Member

I'm new to this as well but have not had any problems getting blood, however I was told you want to hit the vein that runs the perimeter of the ear or you won't get any blood. I hold a sterile cotton pad over the poke afterwards and it never takes more than 5 seconds or so to stop, but am I poking the wrong spot?

Thanks,
    Joe

7. Sharon14

You want hit the ‘sweet spot’ which is between the vein and the edge of the ear.

[​IMG]

8. TreeburnerCT

TreeburnerCT Member

Thanks, scary how much bad information I got from the Vet, but that explains why sometimes I get a slow, dark red drop and other times brighter, quicker blood. Thanks for clearing that up!

Thanks,
    Joe

9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

just know too that it's really ok if you wind up poking all the way through. I would say free hand it, put a cotton round or thick tissue behind and just poke with determination. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat.

10. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

I tried with 33 as much as I love them I had to go back to 28

Also get a flashlight going there before the poke I find that I can visualize better once I’ve seen the location first - my cat has SMALL black furry ears... so I know what you’re going through there... flashlight really helped me eyeball it better

Also talk to her as you’re doing it I swear they understand TONE it most important “it’s ok...it’s ok” in a calm voice like there’s nothing to be afraid of... it will really help you calm down cats are extremely intuitive

11. mislissa777

mislissa777 Member

That's a great video!!! I do sometimes hold a piece of thick tissue behind her ear & I swear she twitches even more. I will give the cotton round a try, thank you!!!!

12. mislissa777

mislissa777 Member

Thanks so much!!! I will try saying "it's ok.. it's ok". That's what I say to her every time the vet tech is drawing blood for a glucose check. I did try a flashlight awhile back but I will give that a shot again too!

13. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

It’s amazing how intuitive they are... I used to struggle with her with clipping her nails in the past- just talking calmly to her about what I’m doing ... she just watched and sits on my lap legs out... talking is amazing it’s surprising how well it works

mislissa777 likes this.
  14. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

TREATS!!! Don’t forget the treats!!! ;)

mislissa777 likes this.
  15. mislissa777

mislissa777 Member

I'm really hoping I can do this, I'm very nervous about the recent change we've done with her insulin. I was really hoping to find someone in the Pittsburgh area that could assist or help me if I need it. I'm going to call around to local vet offices to see if any tech could come to my house. My little princess seems to be more stressed going to the vet for glucose checks ever since she spent the day there for a curve.

16. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

@mislissa777 - I'm closer to Swissvale, but I'd be happy to try to help you.

Someone from the board was kind enough to let me bring my Jester over to her so I could learn first hand how to test and I would consider it a way of paying back that kindness if you still need help with learning.

mislissa777 and Magic Johnson like this.
  17. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Oh yes! That was the motivation for me to do at home testing as much as I did not like to do it AND I struggled with it! BUT I got better I really did I’ve only been on here 1 month

If u can get a tech i think that’s a fabulous option!!!!!

18. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

So totally cool!!!!

mislissa777 likes this.
  19. mislissa777

mislissa777 Member

Oh thank you SO much for your offer!!!! I will definitely keep that in mind. I'm in the Mon Valley, Monongahela. I think Swissvale would be about a 45 min. drive...not too bad at all. Thanks again!

20. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

Why don't you PM me and we can work on getting together.

21. mislissa777

mislissa777 Member

Thanks, I can do that! We have another issue going on right now....had her at the vet yesterday for diminished appetite & lethargy that started Sunday night. They gave her cerenia. She grazed last night but didn't want to eat again this morning. Her AMY levels were high showing pancreas inflammation. Not sure what's going on. I'm waiting for my vet to open at 9 to call them. It seems like for the past few months her glucose has not came down even with increased doses.

22. Smokey and Jessica

Smokey and Jessica Member

I don’t think this was bad info necessarily, just not the best way. If you hit the vein it’s more painful, can cause bruising, but I think it’s said to do it that way just because you’ll actually get blood. The sweet spot can take a little more work and sometimes a couple weeks for the ear to “learn” to bleed better. Once all those capillaries grow it becomes so much easier. Less pain less bruising and a good amount of blood. But even if you hit the vein you just put some pressure like you have been and all is well.

Kris & Teasel and Magic Johnson like this.
  23. mislissa777

mislissa777 Member

Thanks so much for explaining that!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.