bg up at +3?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mister's Owner, Dec 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

Ever since I started only giving half a can of turkey and cheese friskie shreds and than some wellness misters bgs have been mostly in 200's at preshot.
    But he recently started barely eating wellness and only shreds . When cleaning out litter box i noticed only diarrhea no solid bm on 12/08/2015.
    But he is only going 1 or 2 times a day. Im just wondering if its possible that im now giving to much insulin?

on 12/09/2015 i checked him and he was 231 at preshot
    he has been laying around a lot so i checked at +3 and he was 308 bg ?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

No way to really tell at this time.
    You have very few mid-cycle tests to let us know how low he is going, which is a key determinant in adjusting dose.
    You may need an increased dose OR a reduced dose.

Diarrhea can happen even in the presence of a partial GI obstruction (see Feline Constipation for more terrific feline GI info).
    Food intolerance, even from batch changes, may provoke diarrhea, as may intestinal parasites (ex tapeworms from fleas brought in on clothing) and infectious disease.

3. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I use the Friskies turkey and cheese as a medium carb food in case of low numbers. I can't remember exactly the carb % but I believe it is around 15 or 18% ??? not positive on that. The one time I used it to bring up low numbers my Tuxie had loose poops after. He normally eats a home-made food and never has problems with loose poop with his regular food.

My kitty is on Levemir which does not normally seem to start kicking in until +3.5-+4 so quite often his +3 numbers are higher than his pre-shot. I am not familiar with Prozinc and when it starts acting but maybe this is the same with mister???

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't think you are giving too much insulin. The higher carb food could have impacted his numbers.

But it does sound like there might be something wrong. Do you have ketone strips to test for ketones?. If so, I'd get a test. If not, I'd go get some at the drugstore (just like the ones people use) and get a test.

The +3 test is not as worrying as his lethargy and diarrhea. Can you call the vet or take him in?

5. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

He isnt Lethargic.. just sleeping some more.
    he still runs with other kitties and is very alert.
    All my kitties are sleeping more because winter is boring and
    there's nothing for them to watch outside.

I tried just wellness food and he wouldn't even let me give a shot.
    so i figured by cutting down shreds from a 5.5oz can to 2.5oz that cuts carbs in half.
    Its been at least a month of the same eating situation.
    unfortunately i don't have strips to check for ketones or money :(

6. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

I will check at random times today.
    Money has been tight so I haven't been staying stocked up on strips. Thank you

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

If he isn't lethargic, that is good news. So maybe the food is causing the diarrhea? Have you tried the pates (FRiskies or Fancy feasts) and mashed them up with a little water. Some cats like that.

If you can get a number before each shot and somewhere near the +6 range, that would be good data. Maybe get those numbers this weekend and post on the PZI forum for dose advice.

8. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

His bg at preshot this morning was 282
    now at +4.5 136bg
    what do you think of 146 drop in that small amount of time?

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It is just over 50% which should be okay. More importantly it is a nice safe number. We don't worry about low levels until they reach 50. Then we watch that they don't drop further. If you can get another test in 60/90 minutes, you might catch his nadir.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.