BG27.4 aargh 26/9 advice on curve please?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sam-cat, Aug 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam-cat

Sam-cat Member

Kind of just feel like I want to cry now:(.

Really feel like I am trying to do the best for Sam but it maybe isn't helping? I know it's only one test but tonight his BG was 27.4. One of the highest readings we have had ever.

It feels like the numbers are creeping up. I have increased the dose but so little I don't think he is bouncing - but I have been at work so haven't got Nadir readings. Think I will get one tonight.

He is fine, bright his 'usual' self and his sense of humour is intact. The only physical difference is he is drinking more which would be expected. But not drinking as much as before he was on any insulin so despite the higher numbers it is maybe doing something for him?

I just feel so worried. Worried that his BG is going up. Worried when I'm at work as to how he is. Coming up to a weekend so can get a curve done.

Really, really appreciate any advice. Even if it's a kick up the bum. I just want him well SO much.

Thanks to anyone who read all my moans.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

He's definitely bouncing from the recent greens. Hold the 1 unit dose for now and get mid cycle numbers in the day on the weekend. A full curve might be helpful if it's on a day when he's not high and flat from bouncing. Don't panic about the reds - this too shall pass ...

3. Sam-cat

Sam-cat Member

Thank you. I didn't realise a bounce could last so long. I will have much better chance to get curve and nadir at the weekend.

I will stay on 1.0.(just find the high - and low - numbers scary)

Thanks for the reassurance. Just feeling like a failing sam-cat mum atm.

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Bounces can definitely last awhile. I know it's tough seeing him high, but it will be okay! You know the insulin works for him, so he just needs some time.

You're DEFINITELY not a failure. You're taking care of him and doing everything right. :bighug::bighug:

5. Sam-cat

Sam-cat Member

Thank you. High again this morning - dreading testing him and seeing the high numbers. Suppose as well it makes it hard as he has been down to a low number before and didn't seem tobhave that much effect on the next few days. I suppose atm it's just a case of sticking to the 1 and hoping that it settles.

I'm just a worrier when it comes to sam- cat.

Thanks for the help.

6. Kris & Teasel

Try not to focus on individual numbers. It's the trends over time that are important. You're still slowly and safely working your way up to the dose range you were at when those too exciting lime greens popped up. We all understand the worrying about these fur babies. You're in good company here! :bighug:;)

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  7. Sam-cat

Sam-cat Member

Thankyou so much. It's so easy to panic. I suppose the last few days trend has been a big increase in BG numbers, but you are right that is very short term and before that things felt like a bit more like we were getting somewhere. It's hard to be patient for that to return - and I am normally a patient person;)

8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

We give out patience pants for free here! We'll get you a pair..most of us have several we keep in various colors for all occasions!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  9. Sam-cat

Sam-cat Member

Think I'll need quite a few - different colours sounds good:)

10. Sam-cat

Sam-cat Member

Got a six hour curve done. Would have been good to get a longer one but could t manage to stay at home all day. Have a pony that lives a 45 minute drive away so I need to go and do him.

At 6 hours he got lunch and that is usually his lowest BG.

Hope it might help somebody with more experience?

I am trying to be patient along with the feeling scared at the big numbers.

Appreciate any advice:cat:

11. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

You do what you can. A partial curve is better than no curve!

That's actually a pretty good cycle, albeit high. He dropped about 50% at nadir, which is good! I think if he was mine, I'd up the dose if you can monitor. I'd probably try 1.2 when you can monitor and see what that does. He's getting a good drop, but not in the numbers we want him in.

12. Sam-cat

Sam-cat Member

I felt slightly encouraged there was a curve and although obviously still high he had dropped down. It scary to see his BG so high but it seems at least settled so maybe a better chance to get him to a stage where he is on a consistent dose morning and night.

I'd like to increase the dose a wee bit tomorrow then I will be about for that initial day at least and can check his Nadir.

Thanks for your help, Sam and me appreciate it so much

13. Kris & Teasel

Not a bad curve! I agree that a little boost to 1.2 u might shift the numbers down into better territory. :)

14. Sam-cat

Sam-cat Member

Thanks, it feels like a 'safe' increase. Will increase it tomorrow and see how we get on over the first half of the week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.