BGL's up and down like a roller coaster

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LuAnn, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuAnn

LuAnn Member

Does anyone else have major swings up and down with their BGL's? The vet is wanting me to try the Purina Rx food for a few days to see if that makes a difference. Do you feed your cats just one flavor of food? I am feeding Cookie FF pate classic, different flavors so she doesn't get bored. should I just stick with one flavor?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

As long as the food is about the same carb percentage, it shouldn't matter what flavor it is (unless your cat is allergic to a particular protein source)

There's nothing special in the "prescription" foods and the ingredients are actually pretty awful.

What I see is that she got down to 30 on the 1.5...….that calls for an IMMEDIATE reduction in dose!! You should be dropping down to 1.25U

Anything under 50 on a human meter is a reduction

She's dropping too low and her body is trying to compensate by releasing stored sugars and hormones to bring her back up quickly (we call it bouncing)

Bounces can last up to 6 cycles so you need to hold that dose until those sugars and hormones have had a chance to clear and you can see how the new dose is doing. (unless she were to drop below 50 again)

LuAnn likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

I'd suggest you start posting daily over in the Lantus Forum and let the people with the most experience using Lantus help teach you what you need to learn

The people there have years of real life experience and know what works!

LuAnn likes this.
  4. LuAnn

LuAnn Member

Thank you for you help!! I really do not want to give her the RX crap food, and the FF pates are all around 4% carbs so I will reduce the insulin dosage and go from there!!

5. Chris & China (GA)

If your vet pushes it, buy a can or two, take it home, open one can and then take it back …..tell him/her that the cat refuses to eat it.

It's 100% guaranteed so you should get your money back and maybe that'll shut them up

LuAnn likes this.
  6. LuAnn

LuAnn Member

that sounds like a plan!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.