Bibo's morning BG!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Taline & Bibo, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

Good Morning Everyone,
    Hope all is well! I gave Bibo .10u last night, and he had 3 different meals (smaller ones) overnight, and the last one was an hour and a half ago, and I just tested him, at +11 his bg is 277. I'm gonna try to test him again PS now and I'm thinking of giving him .20u this morning, and we'll start the day again. Yesterday, when I gave him .25u, I was eyeballing, so I think he got a little more than that. So today is gonna be with U100, which I'm so happy with. I'll keep you posted.

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

3. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

Ok, I just tested him gain at PS and it's 230. So .2u should be fine I think.

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

You're doing great with hometesting. You have a very lucky kitty.

5. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

When I tested him on +11 this morning, his bg was 277. I tested him again at +12 and it was down to 230, got the syringe ready but Bibo ran to hide under the bed. I had to leave home, but came back at +14.5 and tested him again and it was 202, so I gave him .15 or .1u, it's hard to tell. I wonder why his bg gets elevated to 277 and then goes down. Hopefully there is some type of explenation to this. I tried to post these numbers on the ss, and it's a bit confusing. Hopefully, you guys can understand my way of posting on the ss.

6. tuckers mom

Are you confused about morning numbers being high? Did you read my note about dawning. The body naturally produces more glucose in the morning to get ready for the day, however that's my simply layperson's intrepretation. If you read up on it you may get a better understanding.

7. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

Oh Jen, I don't remember reading about the dawning. Somehow, I missed it, and I couldn't find it either. I'm not too worried, because his #s are slowly coming down after the high #, without even giving him a shot. I'm actually happy, that something must be working, that he's maintaining some type of stablilty with such tiny dosage.
    I read Bean's story, and I'm so thrilled that someone as wonderful as you are, is taking care of her. bless your heart Jen!

8. tuckers mom

Thank you about Bean, I've actually adopted her. Just need to update that. She's so sweet and plays with my CH kitty that the others like, but no one else plays with her, so Bean was a perfect fit for us.

You can read about my other adopted boy Mr. Darcy, I need to add him to my sig line. He's an amazing little man, I'm madly in love with him.

http://fdmb-cin.blogspot.com/2009/12/fr ... as-va.html

I think what's working is Bibo's pancreas, and that's a good thing.

9. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

taline, have you tested again since the shot? when you shoot a dropping number it helps to make sure they don't go too low by checking again an hour or so later.

late drops can be a sign of too much insulin, so i'd see if i could shave the dose a little more (do a fat zero with the U100 syringe). [it might also be the sign of a pancreas working to drop numbers after eating this morning, so next shot time you might want to feed and then test an hour later before shooting to see how the pancreas is working.]

very exciting happenings with bibo!! :)

10. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

Hi Chris, I'm glad you checked my posting. No I couldn't check, becaude I had to go back to work. Like I said, I gave a very tiny dose,after 14.5 hours from 1st shot. But somehow, it goes up to 277 and then down again. Maybe it's the food like you said. Jen also mentioned something about dawning, and I gotta read about that. But tonight, I'll feed him and test him an hour later and see. It will be too late for you to check at 10:00pm, perhaps tomorrow when you get a chance.

11. chriscleo

right, dawn phenomenon.
    i'll probably be around. i'm in san francisco, plus i'm a night owl. just have to do errands today so i'll be in and out.

his morning numbers are improving each day. except for the fact that he goes too low sometimes, i'd be suggesting a slightly higher dose at night to counteract the morning's higher BGs. PZI Vet doesn't require the same dose both day and night -- was just hoping to do that so we could collect a better range of data at the same dose. now that you have the U100s with half-unit markings, it might be easier to give just a drop more insulin at night. [right now, as you've lowered the dose, his morning preshot numbers are going down, too. so i think we're on the right track and just need to finesse things a bit.]

another different possibility is working with different carbohydrate-percentage food for the nighttime meal vs the daytime meal. you could try slightly lower carbohydrate food at night and slightly higher carb food in the morning. what are you feeding generally, and what is the carb content?

12. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

I just got home, and checked his bg at +4.5 and is 139. I'm feeding him the same type of food day and night. It's the fancy feast variety pate, alternating, between the chicken, turkey and beef. I think he eats the most at night. He wakes me up by the noise of him pushing his dish to the wall so I can hear him. He's very smart. I have this gut feeling that .2u is a good dose for Bibo to try.Just like you said Chris, giving him tiny more drops in the evening would be ok, because, he eats all the time, so that will help him keep his numbers from going too low.

13. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

I fed Bibo 45 minutes ago, and just tested him at +11.15 and it is 148. So hopefully, Chris you'll be checking my post, and give me some insight to what to give Bibo in less than an hour.

14. chriscleo

sorry i checked this so late. did you end up giving 0.1u? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.